Honored Contributor

PETS AND HIGH TEMPS OUT THERE

[ Edited ]

Just want to know how your animals behave when it's really, really hot outside.    Cat Very Happy

Do they lose their appetitie?  Get sluggish?   Take more naps? 

I want to be sure I'm doing enough to keep my cat comfortable.   Just putting an ice cube in his water dish doesn't seem like enough.

How do your fur babies react and what do you do for them when it's hot as blazes out there?  

Honored Contributor

Re: PETS AND HIGH TEMPS OUT THERE

My dogs go out and play in the mornings then nap in the AC all afternoon.  They do eat less.  I've heard that domestic rabbits are the most susceptible to heat and will die if they get too hot.

I was travelling in the car once when it was hot.  Even with the AC, my dogs were miserable and panting.  I stopped at a Dairy Queen and got each a "pup cup" of ice cream.  It completely changed their attitudes and cooled them down.  They were fine the rest of the trip.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

First, we do NOT have full-house air-conditioning.  We rarely use air conditioning window units as we have many fans.

Overall I think cats tolerate heat better than dogs.  I have many cats with long fur, and occasionally they will lie in the hot sun for a few hours just for the enjoyment of being hot!

I have several drinking stations for my cats. They also like to sit on cool fabrics and they will sleep a lot during the day.  To make my cats  (and dogs) feel better I will wipe their faces, ears, paws and tummy with a damp, cool cloth if they seem hot.

I also think it is better for them to eat more soft/moist food in the Summer, so they do not become too dehydrated if they do not drink a lot of water.

In extreme heat I will put the cats in the basement.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Your cat indoor or outdoor or both?

Even though my dog was rescued from Mexico, she is very sluggish when outside in 90 degree plus temps.  Hardly eats.  Doesn't bother me none.  Kibble last longer.  She's always taken 3 hour naps in the afternoon - siesta.  Holdover from Mexico.

After she does her business outside, we come right back inside the house.

My place is air conditioned.  She ignores ice cubes in water.  I don't think she knows they keep her water cool.  She waits till the ice melts before she'll drink the water.  I stopped.  I now give her ice cold water when she comes back into the house.  Her water bowl is in the freezer while she goes potty.

My indoor cat is not affected.  She's in an air conditioned home.  Loves ice cubes in his water bowl.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Our Maine Coon kitty seems ok in the heat.  She is an indoor only kitty in a home with AC, even in our sunroom.  She does get groomed once a month, when her fur gets trimmed.  She eats wet food and has a water bowl and a kitty fountain nearby,

Honored Contributor

I noticed our kitties were sleepier than usual and asked DH about it  They usually take their afternoon naps until about 4 p.m. Today I looked and three of them were conked out at 6. DH says it's common for them to sleep more in hot weather. They also might drink more, like I do! 

He believes all outside pets should be brought inside in extremely warm weather. I've heard him tell dog owners to be very careful when they walk them on hot pavement, as the bottom of their paws could get burned easily. 

I remember one time when I was walking down the street shortly after noon on one of the hottest summer days imaginable. We were new to the neighborhood. I heard a dog barking and crying weirdly. He was tied in a doghouse and had knocked over his one dish of water. I had met his owners and knew they both worked full time (no children), but I didn't know how to get in touch with them. I went home, got a container full of water and took it to him. He lapped it up. I poured more in, until he didn't want any more. I waited with him for a while. Then I went home. 

We also have a new rescue. Another one from DD. I went with her to get him from a warehouse area near a busy street. We weren't planning to keep him once he got cleaned up, but you know how that goes!

DH thinks he's about 7 mos. and he thinks someone dropped him off there. It would be really hard for a kitten to get to that area by himself. I just can't understand why people won't go to shelters! He also knew right away what a litter box was. 

We still have to introduce him to one of his big brothers, then he can explore the house by himself for a while before they can all be together. 

There's a lot of other stuff going on right now. Never a dull moment!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Our Maine Coon kitty seems ok in the heat.  She is an indoor only kitty in a home with AC, even in our sunroom.  She does get groomed once a month, when her fur gets trimmed.  She eats wet food and has a water bowl and a kitty fountain nearby,

@PamfromCT   

We have the fans running on low to keep the air moving.  Last night I saw Bogey laying on the rug about 6 feet from the fan, enjoying the breeze .... Ah, the good life.  Cat Happy