Occasional Contributor

Any body have suggestions on what to do about a dog that barks all the time , Please             HELP !!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Owner of a barking dog !!!!

[ Edited ]

Feel sorry for it - owners apparently don't care about the poor thing.  Or are you saying you are the owner?  

Esteemed Contributor

Would need more information....... are you the owner and why is the dog barking.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Give the poor thing some attention !!!!!!!!!!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@nfifer wrote:

Any body have suggestions on what to do about a dog that barks all the time , Please             HELP !!!!!!!!!

Is it your dog?  Look on YouTube.  I found some great tips on training for my dog.  Or if it's your neighbor's dog, call the police or the tenant's landlord. 

Super Contributor

Assuming this is your dog, if you know for sure there's no health issues causing the barking, the dog wants your attention. They see us yakking all the time so they're just doing what we do (yes I am the owner of a very talkative Chessie, so I feel your pain). There's the usual things - more playtime, more exercise, move love in general - that can help. Also teaching your dog the meaning of bark/quiet.

I find frozen Kongs help tons too. You can freeze healthy treats into them or even your dog's meals. If you're using kibble, let the kibble soak in water for just a few minutes, pop it in the Kong and freeze them. As long as you're not going over your dog's calorie needs and the food is healthy, your dog should be fine.

IMHO you can't go wrong reading some of the training books from a great company called Dogwise.  One of the great things about their books, other than the info, is that many are about 60 pages long.

Trusted Contributor

There is not enough information to give an answer.

Is this a neighbor's dog?   If so, how old is it, what kind of dog is it, is it left alone all day, is it left alone and chained outside, has it been abandoned or abused, is it hungry or thirsty or in pain?

If it is yours and newly rescued then all of the above and what is its history?   

Dogs bark for all kinds of reasons.   You need to observe and find out why before you can stop it,

Respected Contributor

Are neighbors complaining?  I totally agree with @RipleyGirl - you need to entertain your dog more - walks, walks walks - wear them out before you go to work.  @RipleyGirl had a ton of great suggestions for keeping the dog entertained.  I give my dogs a good walk (1 hour) every day and another smaller walk in the afternoon - they come home and sleep for a good portion of the day. 

Esteemed Contributor

We have a couple dogs around us that howl when their owners leave. They just want attention. Personally I would rather hear a dog barking than a kid screaming its head off. We used to have a neighbor who had a kid that did nothing but scream and the parents did nothing. I mean nothing. I supposed at the time I could have called authorities but I know nothing about kids and it was none of my business. The kid wasn't getting hurt. I think it might have had issues. Give me a barking dog any day. 

Trusted Contributor

I have a neighbor , ( i am mad) who has a beautiful german shepard dog maybe 2 years old. They keep it locked on side yard which is mostly cement. Mant times it has no water, and they never speak to it or walk it. ( i am home and when i open my window i can see it). I have been throwing it ice cubes and treats. It barks a lot and i have to turn up my tv many times. I have called animal control and they did come out and not do anything. My other neighbor also called. It makes me so sad all the time, i try and do my best for it. They have 4 or 5 kids 2 are old enough to walk or care for it. I hear them outside many times and they never say a word to the poor dog. I can not stand them, there is NO excuse for the way they treat that dog. They are low class stupid people, sorry but i am just so mad, i am having a hard time dealing with this everyday. It just makes me sick.