Esteemed Contributor

Re: Outlandish prices on special need dog's food by Royal Canin

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

My girl has been prescribed the Royal Canin Urinary SO dog food after having bladder stones. I agree that the food is really overpriced. I wouldn’t even mind the high price if I thought it was a high quality dog food but the basic ingredients all seem to be the same low grade as what would be found in cheap, store brand dog food. I just don’t feel the level of quality of the food justifies the insane prices. Then there’s all those chemical ingredients that leave me uncomfortable. 

The only treats  she can have are also the RC Urinary SO dog treats. However, these things are too big for her and they’re harder than rocks. Couldn’t cut them in half, even the food processor couldn’t cut them. It was ridiculous and  just $9 tossed in the garbage. So she’s left with the option of no treats at all. 

I agree with everything you wrote about the Royal Canin food.  That is why I refused to feed it to my dog.  The vets at the hospital looked at me like I had a hole in my head.....whatever.

My guy can't have treats either.  I have tried carrots, apples, bananas.  It is all good.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

Please read this before you put your dog on prescription dog food:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/worlds-biggest-dog-food-scam/

I have learned that the best possible dog food is from your kitchen.  Many feed raw and have proven success with it.  I just can't bring myself to feed raw, but I cook all our Golden's food... meats, veggies and quinoa.  I find meat on sale and I buy large bags of frozen veggies at Costco.  No more kibble!!!

Another thing to consider with a dog's health problems is vaccinosis - over vaccination.  Dr. John Robb is our pets' hero.  Heart  protectthepets.com

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

My girl has been prescribed the Royal Canin Urinary SO dog food after having bladder stones. I agree that the food is really overpriced. I wouldn’t even mind the high price if I thought it was a high quality dog food but the basic ingredients all seem to be the same low grade as what would be found in cheap, store brand dog food. I just don’t feel the level of quality of the food justifies the insane prices. Then there’s all those chemical ingredients that leave me uncomfortable. 

The only treats  she can have are also the RC Urinary SO dog treats. However, these things are too big for her and they’re harder than rocks. Couldn’t cut them in half, even the food processor couldn’t cut them. It was ridiculous and  just $9 tossed in the garbage. So she’s left with the option of no treats at all. 

I don't know if this would work for these treats, @Maltichonmom17  but if something is too hard for my small dog, I put it in enough water to cover and microwave it for maybe 30 seconds or so.  

That should not only make it softer (you can adjust the timing to get it softer or leave it crunchier), but should make it easier to cut into two or more pieces.
Of course, make sure it's cool enough before giving it to her.  Not that you wouldn't know that already.

@GingerPeach, thank you for that useful information, that’s a great idea. Such a different world with the small fur babies. My last dog was a big, overgrown Lab who never met a treat he couldn’t bite. 🐾🥰

Trusted Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 wrote:

I agree with everything you wrote about the Royal Canin food.  That is why I refused to feed it to my dog.  The vets at the hospital looked at me like I had a hole in my head.....whatever.

My guy can't have treats either.  I have tried carrots, apples, bananas.  It is all good.

@tends2dogs , I’m glad you have found a system that works for you. I’d love to find a better quality food system for my fur baby.What I dislike more than the low quality of the SO food is the high sodium level that is there to encourage the dogs to drink more water. I worry about the long term effects of the high sodium levels. So frustrating.

Even more frustrating is the seeming difference of opinions amongst vets that I have read about on the internet. There seems to be two opposing philosophies on the long term usefulness of the SO food. One side believes, my vet being one of them, that the SO diet should be used for the rest of the dog’s life to keep the urine pH balanced and ensure no more bladder stones form. Especially so since my pup is half Bichon Frise, which is a bladder stone prone breed.

The other side believes that if the dog has struvite stones, which my dog did, then keeping the dog on the diet for six months to a year is sufficient and then they can transition the dog back to a normal diet. Struvite stones, unlike the calciym oxalate stones, apparently only occur after a UTI infection and the second group of vets believe that once the dog is free of stones and no bladder UTI is present, the prescription diet is unnecessary. 

We all want for the best for our fur babies and want them healthy and happy and sometimes it’s really hard to figure out and decide what way is the right way. 

Honored Contributor

@Maltichonmom17 , I don't know about dogs, but my cat has to be on the urinary formula diet.  When I got some new kittens, one of them insisted on eating Queso's urinary formula food, so the vet said he would rather Queso eat the kitten food than let the kitten eat the urinary formula food strictly because the kittens needed the food for growth.  All that time we had no problem with Queso's urinary problems.

When the kittens graduated to adult food, I was hoping Queso would also be able to eat the higher quality cat food, but soon after the switch he had another incident with the straining and continually trying to "go".  So, back to the urinary formula along with all the cats since Sambo again insisted on eating Queso's food.  Not sure what it was about the kitten food that kept him from having a problem, but I couldn't keep them on that because it encourages fat in adult cats.

Contributor

I buy frozen green beans and steam some every am. Give it to my dog as a treat.   And if there is a canned food your dog can eat you can make treats. 

Put can in fridge overnight so it slides out better.  You have to use can opener that goes around outside to open it. Oven at 350. Slice then cut to size you want. Start at 25 minutes then check if you want crunchier do longer. Turn off oven and let them cool off in oven-it helps to set them. Keep in fridge for about a week's. My dog would not eat just the food but loves it as a treat.

Trusted Contributor

I know @Icegoddess wrote:

@Maltichonmom17 , I don't know about dogs, but my cat has to be on the urinary formula diet.  When I got some new kittens, one of them insisted on eating Queso's urinary formula food, so the vet said he would rather Queso eat the kitten food than let the kitten eat the urinary formula food strictly because the kittens needed the food for growth.  All that time we had no problem with Queso's urinary problems.

When the kittens graduated to adult food, I was hoping Queso would also be able to eat the higher quality cat food, but soon after the switch he had another incident with the straining and continually trying to "go".  So, back to the urinary formula along with all the cats since Sambo again insisted on eating Queso's food.  Not sure what it was about the kitten food that kept him from having a problem, but I couldn't keep them on that because it encourages fat in adult cats.

@Icegoddess, that’s an interesting observation. My pup had no problems when she was on the Wellness brand puppy food. At one year, she transitioned to the Wellness adult formula and it was six months later when she developed the bladder stones. Never really thought until you mentioned it. Makes me wonder. 🤔

Respected Contributor

I was just about to start a new message about prescription diet foods, then saw this post.
My Maltese has recently been put on Hills prescription diet...she hated all of it. I then switched flavors and she'll eat a little of the Chicken Stew, cans. They raised the price to $3.30 a can, or 3.08 by the case, which I dont think would work for her since shes not too fond of it. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping, and found Hills Chicken stew, same label, very similar ingredients and nutrition content, protein, fat, fiber the same...but no prescription...its sold in stores. It even has the same dog on the label as the prescription can. Under $2.00 a can. Best prices at Petco. I dont get it!! I'm going into petco with my prescription food, and will go over everything and compare. I did all this online, but I'd like to see for myself and talk to them. Theres ALOT online about the bewares of prescription food vs. store bought. One thing, for Teaspoon, phosphorus is to kept very low, yet neither food lists phosphorus content on the cans...but, as I see, the nutrient content and ingredients are almost identical. Key is to keep the protein low.
Trusted Contributor

my vet told  me that the  reason that they charge so much for speical pets foods is that they can and they know  it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@spent2much wrote:

Please read this before you put your dog on prescription dog food:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/worlds-biggest-dog-food-scam/

I have learned that the best possible dog food is from your kitchen.  Many feed raw and have proven success with it.  I just can't bring myself to feed raw, but I cook all our Golden's food... meats, veggies and quinoa.  I find meat on sale and I buy large bags of frozen veggies at Costco.  No more kibble!!!

Another thing to consider with a dog's health problems is vaccinosis - over vaccination.  Dr. John Robb is our pets' hero.  Heart  protectthepets.com

How many ounces of meat per day do you give your golden? 

Could you share your recipes?