Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbestwrote:

@tends2dogswrote:

@goldensrbestwrote:

Actually maine state law, a dog tax you have to show proof of rabies vaccinations, i always have done my dogs ,but  in order to do so one must see a vet, and they will not give the dog the shot unless they give a full examination, well that is $129.00,my dog that is up for his ,will be 8 this summer, i feel he has had more than enough shots period , no way around this it seems,one can have a titer done ,but that is expensive also.

@goldensrbest  May I ask what you mean by you have always done your dogs?  You give them their rabies?  I didn't think a non licensed (non vet) could purchase the vaccines.  Does your state accept titers? Most don't.  BTW a titer is less than $129.

Ihave always given my dogs their rabie shots ,at the vets ,no not doing it myself ,but i will say i have cut back on other shots, they do get heartworm meds ,but i spread it out,every 45 days ,start in last of april thru oct.

Your vet hands you the syringe and you inject it?  Is this because your dogs are skittish?  I do the heartworm meds the same way only if the temp drops below 57 degrees for more than a couple of days, I begin counting the 45 days over.  The lower temp disrupts the cycle.  Willie got one distemper/parvo at 4 months and then was titered.  He had immunization.  He will receive no more shots in his life except rabies.  That is only because my back is up against the wall.  The thought of having to relinquish him for the 6 month watch and wait period or even worse euthanasia, I have no choice.  No one does in this matter.  They really should accept titers. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@Fiero Womanwrote:

In some states, you as an individual, can buy shots for dogs at Tractor Supply and give them yourself.  I don't know the process but my friend always did it once a year.  Some of the feed stores here in Florida also sell shots for animals. 

A person can buy any of the vacs except rabies.  This is the only one mandated and required by law and they have to be given by a licensed vet.

I wish I could purchase it and give it myself Cat TongueSmiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogsYour not understanding me ,no i do not give a shot to my dogs,the vet does,and yes i know the law,but you know as i do too many vaccines are not a good idea.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I feel the rabies shot  really does not need to be given every 3 years, but that is the law.

Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest  It finally sunk in!!!  So sorry! 

We are on the same page about the vaccines!

Again, sorry about being so dense LOL! Man Wink

Honored Contributor

I completely agree that vaccines are not necessary every three years.  I give the rabies that way since it's required by law.  This will be the year that my dog is due for her other three year vaccines, and I am going to do Titers every three years from now on.  I have told my Vet this, and she is fine with it.

I do still go in for an annual exam and feel that is important.

My kitten will get his rabies as required by law.  He had his initial vaccines, too, but since he's an indoor only cat I may never give him anything but rabies again.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

I completely agree that vaccines are not necessary every three years.  I give the rabies that way since it's required by law.  This will be the year that my dog is due for her other three year vaccines, and I am going to do Titers every three years from now on.  I have told my Vet this, and she is fine with it.

My kitten will get his rabies as required by law.  He had his initial vaccines, too, but since he's an indoor only cat I may never give him anything but rabies again.  

I don't understand why an indoor cat would need a rabies except for $$$$.  Glad your vet is open to titering.  Many aren't.  They don't understand immunization. 

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogswrote:

@NickNackwrote:

I don't understand why an indoor cat would need a rabies except for $$$$.  Glad your vet is open to titering.  Many aren't.  They don't understand immunization. 

@tends2dogs  I don't think he needs rabies either, but I'm pretty sure it's the law for cats, too.  If it isn't I won't do it.  He's just ten months old now, and it's been about six years since I've had a cat.  I don't really remember what I did before.  I think I refused the other vaccinations but don't remember about rabies.

I Googled it and don't really get an answer about cats and rabies.  I'll ask my Vet.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogswrote:

@goldensrbest  It finally sunk in!!!  So sorry! 

We are on the same page about the vaccines!

Again, sorry about being so dense LOL! Man Wink

Maybe i was not clear, i knew what i was saying!!!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@NickNackwrote:

@tends2dogswrote:

@NickNackwrote:

@tends2dogs  I don't think he needs rabies either, but I'm pretty sure it's the law for cats, too.  If it isn't I won't do it.  He's just ten months old now, and it's been about six years since I've had a cat.  I don't really remember what I did before.  I think I refused the other vaccinations but don't remember about rabies.

I Googled it and don't really get an answer about cats and rabies.  I'll ask my Vet.

I just found the TN law for rabies.  Cats and dogs are both required to have it if they're six months of age or older.

-Henry David Thoreau