Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our little girl is going in for surgery! Please keep us in your prayers!

@Lovemyboots wrote:

Miss Maggie Mae...before surgery.Miss Maggie Mae.jpg

@Lovemyboots She's Ah-dorable! How is she this morning?

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Valued Contributor

We had a very restless night! We were up every couple of hours. Had to carry her out to pee. I slept in the recliner in the den, with her crate right beside me so ice watch her & I knew she wd be in pain & wd probably be in more pain if she needed to pee. That put us close to the door. Had to give her pain meds twice. She is sleeping right now. Put Keisha's bassinet in here too & she slept really good. We didn't wake her up any & she is still asleep. She has this dry cough & I can not get her to drink or eat. May have to get a dropper thingy & force water. I know she has to have it. Husband is going to watch her later so I can get some sleep. I am so tired! Thank you everyone for your prayers & good wishes! We really appreciate it!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lovemyboots wrote:
We had a very restless night! We were up every couple of hours. Had to carry her out to pee. I slept in the recliner in the den, with her crate right beside me so ice watch her & I knew she wd be in pain & wd probably be in more pain if she needed to pee. That put us close to the door. Had to give her pain meds twice. She is sleeping right now. Put Keisha's bassinet in here too & she slept really good. We didn't wake her up any & she is still asleep. She has this dry cough & I can not get her to drink or eat. May have to get a dropper thingy & force water. I know she has to have it. Husband is going to watch her later so I can get some sleep. I am so tired! Thank you everyone for your prayers & good wishes! We really appreciate it!

**************************************************************************************

@Lovemyboots Poor little thing. She probably has a sore throat from the intubation.

My best advice is to go ahead and force a little water with a dropper or syringe. It will help her throat feel better.

ETA Try it about an hour after you give her pain meds

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

Holy guacamole Batman!  Yikes, no wonder your Miss Maggie Mae was having accidents!  I am very glad your vet got those right out, and I hope they were sent off for analysis, so in you need to make a diet change to prevent them ever forming again, you can.  Some stones form simply because the urinary pH is too high, and there is a simple supplement you can give, an amino acid in gel form, that will lower the pH back into the acidic range and will keep stones from forming, and that is often the more cost effective way to prevent recurrence, rather than an expensive prescription food, but hopefully your vet will help you find the right solution for Maggie Mae's situation.  One thing that may help is getting her to drink more water and this keep her bladder flushed out, I had to do that with one of my dogs many years ago.  We have doggie doors, so he could go out whenever he needed to, but he was never a big drinker, and developed silicate bladder stones, which there was no diet or medication for.  So I added about 1/8th of a teaspoon of table salt to his dinner, and that made him thirsty enough so that he drank more and kept himself flushed out, and never formed new stones after the first one was surgically removed.  You can ask your vet if that would help Maggie Mae, depending on what kind of minerals her stones are made out of.  Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Good news my husband came in & took her out, walked her & got her to pee but best of all he got her to eat & DRINK! Yay! We gave her the next dose of meds due & she is in her crate sleeping! Need to keep my husband right here because she is a daddy's girl & will do things for him better than for me! 😄
Valued Contributor

Yes vet told us as soon as we know what the stones are for sure we will then go from there on a preventive diet. We have a doggy door & she uses it & she is good at drinking water. But she is a rescue found running on a busy highway & who knows how she was raised or any of her background! We have had her abt 2 months. Tried everything to find her home. But now she has a home with us! A new brother & sister too! I do wish I knew more abt her though. All we know is when we found her she had been recently groomed, nails clipped, spayed, housebroken, loves riding in car, loves children & all animals it seems. Very well mannered when walking or in the park or pet store! Loves to cuddle! Who looses a dog like that and doesn't search everywhere for it! Only thing she didn't have was a chip! But she does now! Cause I don't want to lose her!! 😊
Valued Contributor

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots

Hardly any of us who have taken in rescue dogs know their background.  In the end, it doesn't really make much difference.  Just work with your vet and do the best you are doing from now on. 

Best wishes to you and for the good health of all your dogs.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Contributor

So glad she came through the surgery ok.  She is blessed she has found a loving home with you!  She sounds like she is very precious to you.  Enjoy her...  I know you do : )

Honored Contributor

Miss Maggie Mae is a very cute little doggie. I am glad she is doing well. Thank you for sharing her photo. She is blessed to have been rescued by your family. 

animated-cat-gif-24.gif