Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla  Thank you!  I was notified late this afternoon that Maui will be due for her rabies shot in December and then distemper in March, so those will wait.  Of course, this was in a text, so I have no documentation that is accepted by anyone.  With three medications, her ear infection is apparently gone as she has stopped both shaking her head and rubbing her ears against furniture and the floor.

I am noting the concerns that I have read on here and thank all.  I will be checking with the vet about repercussions of a late spay.  I do not know that it is a uti, but that came up in conversation with the vet.  Maui urinates more than any dog that I have ever had and the color is very dark.  Surprisingly, she sleeps through the night and does not indicate that she needs to go out.  I get her out for the last time at about 11 p.m. and the get her up about 5:30 or 6 a.m. and there are no accidents in the house. 

Anyway, thank you all for insight, advice, and good wishes.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl 

A friend had a silky that lived to 19.5 years old so you may have her for a while which is good. Talk with your vet about scheduling for the least amount of stress to her. Truthfully you and your vet need to decide if the best route is the spaying. My understanding which is limited is that even with older dogs the benefits are there. See about spacing out shots even if it is just two weeks.

Best wishes to you.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

What a lovely future you have given little Maui and yourself, too!

When I adopted my latest little one, a mature chihuahua mix, she was spayed by the shelter, so I did give them a donation.  I completely agree with the other posters who say you shouldn't feel it necessary to donate since you're the one giving Maui all her medical treatments.

@doxie1  and others have a good plan as to waiting for anything done under anesthesia, such as spaying, until she is in better health.  It's also my understanding that "shots," per se, are meant for healthy dogs, so if you can keep her confined until she's in better health, then perhaps hold off on those vaccinations, too.  Obviously, take care of her uti, if it's that, and whatever else she needs, before exposing her to things that will hamper her return to good health.

I wish you as much enjoyment with Maui as I am having with my little Kiku.  And I hope she learns to love blueberries.  Kiku can teach her. 🐕Smiley Wink

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

@GingerPeach  Thank you!  I am definitely holding off on the shots until at least after the first of the year.  I never use a boarding facility and have decided no doggie daycare, so there is really no rush for shots.  If her appetite is any indication, she is in excellent health.  I will let her know that Kiku expects her to eat blueberries!

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Thank you so much for adopting Sweet Maui.  Maui will thank you a million times over for giving her a loving home.  

Senior pets often get overlooked due to their age.  Sending you both blessings for many years together.  Heart

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our New Dog

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine  I only foster and adopt seniors, but Maui is the smallest at 10 pounds.  It is unfortunate that seniors are overlooked, but more importantly, that anyone can  abandon a senior as was done to Maui.  There are situations when owners become deceased, but other than that, I just don't get it, so I try to do my part.

The exception has been the stray cat that somehow ended up living in the house.  Not sure how that exactly happened, but he appears to like it here, except for Maui, who he outweighs.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our New Dog

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

Sometimes Vets like to make money.

My friends  vet just told her Her dog has heart failure ,and liver problems and needed many tests  that sent her into a huge anxiety problem. She loves her dog dearly.... She went to 2 other vets that told her he was perfectly healthy...........

Please think it over.  I would drop the spaying,she doesn't need it and at 10 yrs old she hasn't got that much time left  to develop problems from not being spayed.

"Fixing" an older female dog is very risky,especially a 10 yr old female. It is a bigger operation on a female than on a male dog.Did you know that?  and a longer recoperation time.

Please think about NOT spaying ,please.............

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma  Thank you!  I will be talking to the vet over the weekend and rethinking the spay decision.  I appreciate everyone's input.

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl 

Thank you for listening and considering it.............

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma  I have already met with two vets who suggestd spaying, but I will be making an appointment with at least one more next week.  I have also looked into the pros and cons and I am concerned with pyometra, something that I have never even heard of.  First, I will be getting blood tests and will go from there.  Maui seems so healthy that I don't want to do anything that would cause distress.

Thank you all for your advice.  It is very much appreciated.