Esteemed Contributor

How can anyone give up a 10 yr old?????.......unless they died??????

God Bless you <3

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Our New Dog

[ Edited ]

Senior dogs should be no charge.

Vet bills are very expensive. I had my dog spayed this year

and 2 additional visits for shots. Adds up very fast.

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl   So happy that you are taking control of this neglectful situation.  Maui now has a loving home and will be properly cared for....wish there was a pet protective agency.  Pets instinctively know where they are loved, and I'll bet Maui is over the moon with her new home. Much respect and love to you and your new family memberHeart

Super Contributor

Bless you for taking Maui in.  

I would be concerned about spaying a senior 10 year-old dog.  It may cause more problems that it solves.  If she is not goijng to be running loose, why put her through that?  I waited and had an older Yorkie spayed one time and she had so many complications, she almost died.  I would think about that one and talk to the vet if spaying is really a good idea at her age. 

Respected Contributor

SXMGIRL - thank you a million times over - soundss like that poor baby had a crappy life before you -

At least now she is safe, loved and will live out the rest of her time on this planet, in the care of a truly good human.

Bless her heart and yours! MAZEL on your new baby.

Esteemed Contributor

@LolaMontez  I am very concerned, but the vet and I are looking at all of the risks.  Maui needs so much done that it is almost overwhelming.  I am so sorry that your dog had complications, but I am hoping for the best.  

Maui is very sweet and she has fit right in here.  Thankfully, she is housebroken, even though she does not know the difference between grass, cement, asphalt, or wood.  Not a big deal.  The biggest problem that I am having is that she is constantly hungry, has gained one pound since she has been with us, and now the vet has told me that she cannot gain any more weight.  I have thankful that she will eat chopped apples and carrots.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@LolaMontez  I am very concerned, but the vet and I are looking at all of the risks.  Maui needs so much done that it is almost overwhelming.  I am so sorry that your dog had complications, but I am hoping for the best.  

Maui is very sweet and she has fit right in here.  Thankfully, she is housebroken, even though she does not know the difference between grass, cement, asphalt, or wood.  Not a big deal.  The biggest problem that I am having is that she is constantly hungry, has gained one pound since she has been with us, and now the vet has told me that she cannot gain any more weight.  I have thankful that she will eat chopped apples and carrots.

@SXMGirl 

No salt green beans, canned carrots, cantaloupes, watermelons .

We use these as fillers when a family member gets a bit, er...plump.

Best Wishes. 💛💙💚

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe  Thanks for the suggestions.  I am just learning what she will eat in addition to her dog food, and she will not eat blueberries, which I think is mostly about the texture.  I am mixing the carrots and apples in with her dog food and she eats them right up.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@Drythe  Thanks for the suggestions.  I am just learning what she will eat in addition to her dog food, and she will not eat blueberries, which I think is mostly about the texture.  I am mixing the carrots and apples in with her dog food and she eats them right up.

@SXMGirl 

OMGosh - no blueberries?

They are treat number 1 here!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

Please talk to the Vet before Maui is brought "up to date" with her shots. Our guy had Lyme disease, allergic to fleas, ear infections and problems with his teeth and jaw. The Vet brought him up to date with all his shots and "fixed" him all on one day. And we were told he never went to a Vet, so I am not sure how many shots he got.

We had one sick dog for over 2 weeks. He also had seizures. Please talk to the Vet. I would hate for you to go through the same thing.

And I think lolamontez brought up an excellent point. Why get Maui fixed right now, especially if she has a UTI. If it has to be done wait until the infection clears up. But at her age is it really necessary?