Respected Contributor

great big congrats to Maui, who has been blessed with a loving and caring new home!  i agree that you have done more than enough, as far as 'donating' towards her care.  i wish you the best, and hope to see a picture someday soon!  

Respected Contributor

Congrats on your rescue! You are a hero. Great breed and now you get to wear this shirt too! The wonderful silly Silkys rule.....at least at our house. 

Related image

Respected Contributor

Bless you for taking Maui under your wings and giving her excellent care.  What a wonderful new home for her.  Heart

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

On one level I can understand the rescues request, they did facilitate and take possession of the animal from the former owner. They are also taking your word that you will be having the dog spayed and not breeding her since they would have likely spayed her before anyone could adopt. 

Enjoy your new dog and if possible I would not wait till next week to treat that UTI.  They can be very painful and develop quickly into something serious if the dogs immune system is compromised.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy  We are not actually certain that it is a uti, but I am hoping that it is not diabetes.  We are waiting because of the three meds that she is on for her ears, which were in very bad shape.  

Every rescue that I have dealt with has made sure that the pet was spayed/neutered, had all shots, and was certified by a vet.  This was not the case with Maui.  We are basically starting over.  My "donation" (in my opinion) is to make sure that not only is everything done healthwise, but also to provide a good home.  That is why I was contacted in the first place.  I was called very late Thursday night to pick her up on Friday.  All they told me was that they thought that she had an ear infection.  If they only knew!

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

We have a new foster dog named Maui.  She is a 10 year old part silky terrier and came to us on Friday from an owner surrender.  Right now, I am treating her for a chronic ear infection, but she will be spayed next week, get her shots, and be treated for a uti, as well as any unknown ailments.

I tried to post a picture, but it just does not seem to post.  Anyway, she is just adorable.

The rescue person wanted a donation and felt that I was being unfair to refuse.  Right now, we are over $400 in vet bills, with another thousand next week.  

She is here to stay and we have already had her microchipped, so a foster no more.

I do not know you but I love you.  You are the best people.

Respected Contributor

@SXMGirl : I know you probably can’t see it now but you just added another “star in your crown”.

Good wishes and many blessings to you and yours.

Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@CrazyDaisy  We are not actually certain that it is a uti, but I am hoping that it is not diabetes.  We are waiting because of the three meds that she is on for her ears, which were in very bad shape.  

Every rescue that I have dealt with has made sure that the pet was spayed/neutered, had all shots, and was certified by a vet.  This was not the case with Maui.  We are basically starting over.  My "donation" (in my opinion) is to make sure that not only is everything done healthwise, but also to provide a good home.  That is why I was contacted in the first place.  I was called very late Thursday night to pick her up on Friday.  All they told me was that they thought that she had an ear infection.  If they only knew!

I would "politely" keep the foster people in the loop.  By "updating" them, you will be telling them in a roundabout way that you are spending a lot to get this dog up to par.

Both of you are great people but you are taking this to the NEXT LEVEL and that means an expenditure.  

Esteemed Contributor

@alarmclock  They have been kept in the loop.  When told how much I anticipated spending on Maui for her medical care, I was told that I should have just returned her.  It is on me that I have chosen to keep her.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

@SXMGirl wrote:

@alarmclock  They have been kept in the loop.  When told how much I anticipated spending on Maui for her medical care, I was told that I should have just returned her.  It is on me that I have chosen to keep her.

What?  Returned her?  Like a pair of shoes?

I do not know you but I never see that happening!

Yes, it is on you but you took that on gladly, right?

If you would have returned her, she would not be getting this level of medical care.