Esteemed Contributor

We have a new foster dog named Maui.  She is a 10 year old part silky terrier and came to us on Friday from an owner surrender.  Right now, I am treating her for a chronic ear infection, but she will be spayed next week, get her shots, and be treated for a uti, as well as any unknown ailments.

I tried to post a picture, but it just does not seem to post.  Anyway, she is just adorable.

The rescue person wanted a donation and felt that I was being unfair to refuse.  Right now, we are over $400 in vet bills, with another thousand next week.  

She is here to stay and we have already had her microchipped, so a foster no more.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I think you're going above and beyond.  Bless you.  Shame on the previous owner.

Honored Contributor

Hope you are able to send a picture.

So sad that she has so many health issues. But thankfully they are being corrected. When we adopted our guy he was in rough shape. But he is such a great addition to our family.

Have a happy life together. She sounds like a sweetie.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @SXMGirl.  Wish we had more like you.  

Honored Contributor

@SXMGirl 

So happy for both you and Maui!  

I know most shelters do require an adoption fee, both for good faith that you will care for the animal, but also because they cover chipping, spay / neuter, and all medical expenses.

However, as you are paying these expenses yourself I feel that you are being perfectly reasonable in not making a donation.

And doing so shows your good faith.

Wishing you a long, loving life together. ♥️

Happy tails!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl, Lucky little Maui!  And may you be blessed and rewarded for your kindness.  I am sure you and this little pup will have many happy years ahead.  How shameful of this pup’s former guardians to do what they did.  I never use the term “owners” - for me, the proper term is “guardian.”  I think it denotes a higher level of commitment.  Your level of kindness and concern for this helpless pup is to be so admired.  Hugs to you and Maui.

Esteemed Contributor

Idiot former owner. He/ she is lucky to have re-homed a 10 year old dog that was not given proper vet care. Adoption fees are for rescue groups, not this fool.

Maui is a lucky dog! Congrats. Hope you did not give the former owner a dime. Some nerve!

Esteemed Contributor

@SXMGirl , bless you for your kindness.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@queendiva  Only the vet is getting lots of dimes!  I asked for veterinary records so that I could contact her previous vet, if she actually had one, but all requests have been refused.  That is why we are starting over with shots once her ear infection clears completely.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Our New Dog

[ Edited ]

@SXMGirl 

Sounds like this beautiful baby was neglected by previous owner....10 and not spayed!  Bless you and all of us who come to the rescue for many of these neglected and loving animals.  She will do well with you and your family and she will thrive on your love!

PS  The way I see the issue with donation is that you are making a donation, you are donating to this pup's health that was neglected.