Respected Contributor

Opinions on leash/harness training for Lab

My Labrador is 6 mos old.  For the most part I let him run loose on my property,  but when I take him out, whether for a walk, or to the beach, vets office, hes out of control. 

He'll obey his commands, but simply get up and all the pulling starts immediately.   Hes now around 50lbs.  Very difficult to keep his attention when out in public...too much stimuli, and hes pulling fiercely, yelping and just in his own world.  Yesterday while walking him on the beach, he actually hurt my shoulder and neck, twisting and turning all around me.  I make him sit and stop...then he goes right back.   So, we are looking into either the Gentle Lead leash, or the harness type.  I've never needed any of these with my 8 large dogs I've owned,  I including another Lab I had that was 100 lbs.  But this guy is a maniac. 

Please send your suggestions on leashes you may have used and like.  Appreciate !!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Opinions on leash/harness training for Lab

I can empathize with you. My Lab was crazy until she turned 2 years old.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

One word - OBEDIENCE! This is a must! You need to keep his attention and focus on you. Labs can be real air heads so this can be hard. Talk to him and when his attention is on you, praise him. Make him sit and stay when he gets out of control. Obedience can control most any behavior. Heel, sit , stay, down, etc. All these are basic commands every dog must know. Consistency is the key! 

No harness, collar, leash , etc teaches good behavior and proper manners for when a dog is in public. Training does this! 

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin.  One morning this week Dan Hughes was on with his wife and one of their dogs with the vendor demonstrating this harness.  It's simple and seemed to be very effective.  I thought it was expensive for just a short piece of nylon rope, but I was tempted.  They said there's no way a dog can wiggle out of it.

Screenshot_20180922-123344.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Occasional Contributor

I never post--but I have a solution for you.  My dog was super strong--Rottweiller/Shepherd.  Look for a product called the gentle leader.  It goes over their snout and looks kind of like a muzzle--but it's not.  It works amazingly well.  I started out with him only wearing it a short time, until he adjusted.  No more pulling!!!!!  Good luck

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin

My rescue was highly reactive to outside stimuli when we first rescued him.

I highly recommend a harness, as it doesn't pull on their neck and gives you more control of their upper body.

Our trainer taught us (for my avatar, 80 lbs.) to walk him on a 'short' lease in public situations, ours is a full leash but has a short loop, closer to his body' which attaches to his harness, when out of his home.

Keep a pocket full of treats and when he tries to start pulling or getting over stimulated in public, bring him to your side and get his attention with the treat and  praise him when he responds to you and stops pulling.

The idea is to redirect his attention away from things/situations that make him nervous when in public situations.

It worked for Kingston, maybe it'll work for you!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

A short leash on a harness is a good way to train them. It lets you control the pulling as you are centered with it in the middle of their back. With a short leash they also don't have a lot of room to pull ahead.

Respected Contributor

The best thing you can do is obedience training.  I am small and had a very, very large dog - never could have walked him without the obedience training.  Try the local kennel club or ask your Vet for a reference.  We went to 6 weeks of obedience training and I also was lucky enough to find a trainer to come to my home for several sessions.  My large dog became a lamb on his leash and we both loved his walks and excursions.  I could take him anywhere and know he would behave.

At 6 months your lab is at a the perfect age for training

Do not use a training facilitiy where you leave your dog there to be trained.  Number 1 - I want to know how my dog is being trained and #2 - he needs to know that it is you who is Alpha in his pack.  I feel obedience training is essential for large breed dogs - it is imperative they know to obey. 

They are haplpier and safer when they know what it is you want them to do.  Heel, sit, stay, down, stop - all important instructions to be re-inforced.  For instance if the dog is heading for the street, to know to STOP on command may save his life.

My son had 2 labs and both were trained and were wonderful dogs.  Sadly, both are now together over the rainbow bridge with many of our other very much loved and missed dogs.  My current dog is old and showing signs of his age and I dread what is coming.

Honored Contributor

OBEDIENCE TRAINING!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin, another vote for obedience training.  It is as much for the owner as for the dog.  Vets can usually recommend good trainers.  Good luck!

Post a pic of your new puppy.  

Here is our girl at 8 weeks.  She had turquoise eyes.  A picture of a picture cropped.  Apologies for the quality.  She is 11 now.  LM

352BBFC4-362B-49B9-8544-1A9EEB8AB757.jpeg