Honored Contributor

Re: Opinions on leash/harness training for Lab

@Drythe wrote:

@Lilysmom

My current yellow labby boy will be three in January, he is just now starting to calm down.  I’m so glad that the KC that worked with me uses both hand and voice commands.  A friend has a child who can not speak or talk, she is thrilled that she an talk with my doggies!  She always calls her mom to watch what she can do with the dog.

I also work from home frequently, understand so well that no barking is very important!

HeartSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

OP - I know you were asking about a harness, but it might be worth your while to watch this movie called  Pick of the Litter. It is about: Five spirited Labrador puppies embark on an incredible journey to become guide dogs for the blind. Which ones will have what it takes?

I just saw this documentary today.  It follows 5 lab puppies from birth to 16 months as they train to be guide dogs for the blind.  There were some very spirited labs in this bunch, much like you have.  It shows every detail of their training, just starting with the basic obedience commands.

It might give you some ideas.  This movie just came out this week.  While I grew up with cats, I really enjoyed this movie and was fascinated at the process to train these dogs.

I live in Dallas and it is only playing at one independent theater - Magnolia.  But you can watch it on Amazon for as little as $4.99 as it is streaming there as well.  Plus it has a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes which almost never happens.

Honored Contributor

@vickie25

Thanks for posting this!  I’ve had my head under water so to speak for the past week or so and missed it.  Sounds wonderful.  

My dermatologist raises puppies that go off to be guide dogs. 

Not sure I could would be able to do that.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

Hi,  just wanted to post back and say, Gabriel got his petsafe 3 in 1 harness today.   Also a leash that has a short 18" handle with a full length leash all in one.

So he went for 2 short walks and did pretty good.  Didnt mind wearing it at all.   Much easier to control  and he obeyed his commands quickly. 

Nice teal color with glow stitching. .looks good against his platinum color.