Contributor

Re: 🐶❤️October❤️🐶 Is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog-Month!

Our family loves cats and dogs! Great thread w good reminders!

💕💕💕💕

New Contributor

ADOPT SENIOR ANIMALS IF YOU YOURSELF ARE A SENIOR OR HEADING IN THAT DIRECTION.

To my more mature QVC friends, I ask that you consider adoption senior pets. There are so many good reasons.

1) you can grow old together

2) if you become ill or unable to keep up with a puppy, a senior is much less demanding of your time.

3) Pets are our responsiblity. Let's not make them someone else's when we pass.

There are many many precious senior pets missing their families and they need loving homes. Again, please consider senior animals.

Thank you on behalf of fur babies everywhere.

Super Contributor

@MickD wrote:

@JDJ555 my two crazy rescues.

P_20171006_130229.jpgP_20171006_130209.jpg

@MickD

They are beautiful! Thank you for sharing their sweet pix in your loving home. 

❤️

Super Contributor

@conlt wrote:

Here is my little adoptee. His name was soldier but I changed it to Chance. In 2 years before I got him, he bounced in and out of the shelterP6271301.JPG 4 times. He does have some anxiety issues, that I am working with him on. He is a sweetie. 

@conlt

A beautiful boy! Your Chance has a sweet face.

Thank you for sharing his pic.

❤️

Super Contributor

@J Peck wrote:

To my more mature QVC friends, I ask that you consider adoption senior pets. There are so many good reasons.

2) if you become ill or unable to keep up with a puppy, a senior is much less demanding of your time.

There are many many precious senior pets missing their families and they need loving homes. Again, please consider senior animals.

@J Peck

Your post inspires me and I hope it inspires others that never thought about it this way. 

I think I'll change the thread title because of your post. Thank you.

Everyone's contributions are wonderful and inspiring, so heartwarming. I'll try to get the names who posted since I was here last so I can be sure you know I appreciate your posts so much.

❤️

Super Contributor

Re: PLEASE Open Your Home & Heart to a Senior Dog❤️🐶Oct. Is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog-Month!

[ Edited ]

To all the posters who posted after my earlier thank you,

@sommertime

@dreamieLil

@iceRedfire

@sarahjaney

@feline groovy

@MickD

@Katcat1

@dooBdoo

@esmeesmerelda

@BitsyAnn

@Annabellethecat66 

@minnietwinnie

@lavinia5534

@Kittehsister

@conlt

@J Peck

Sorry if I missed anybody.

I don't get to post often. Thank you for posting, and thank you to everyone who adopts, fosters, donates, volunteers or does anything they can to make the life of an animal ~~ any animal ~~ safer and better.

You're all heroes!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Super Contributor

@J Peck wrote:

STANDING OVATION @J Peck!

👏

Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE Open Your Home & Heart to a Senior Dog❤️🐶Oct. Is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog-Month!

@JDJ555

Wife left this morning to pick up 2 older dogs that were brought here from Kansas. She met her Rescue Connected person across the river in Iowa. She is taking them to foster homes in South Dakota.

Myself, our dog Lily, and our 6 remaining felines will be home keeping me company. Lily loves car rides, but!!!  She can't stand being around other dogs. Our felines? Eh, she had to get used to them, but they all put up with each other.

Wish more that rescue pets would think more widely than just puppies. Many senior pets are really lost if they come from a "longtime home" to a shelter. Some take a long time to come around to their new forever homes and parents, but they do.

Want lots of love? Think "seniors" when looking to rescue these homeless canines, they will give you all they have, and right till the end.

Thank you again @JDJ555, you are a sweetheart for caring and posting this thread about the oft forgotten older canines.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree about adopting all pets if you can....but one consideration in adopting older pets is that you must have the income and the time in your day  to pay for health ailments  that most likely will come up in say a dog's twilight years and the extra time to care for their health issues as time goes on.

Insurance might not be an option with say a 10 year old dog....or if available too expensive for many to afford.

Plus there are just older age issues ..incontinace, blindness, etc. I have had many older dogs and I was fortunate to be able to afford  to  take care of them and their medical conditions.  I had to put diapers on some....and help them outside with a sling to hold them up as they had bad hips.

Not to put a damper on your thread but, just a reality check.  It is a responsibility you have to be aware of when adopting older dogs and cats.

Honored Contributor

Hi @SeaMaiden

I understand what you are saying. Every pet, regardless of age, do not come with any guarantee, for health and/or injury. Think you would be surprised how much money my wife's rescue organization spends on puppies, and younger dogs. With rambunction of most younger pets, comes injuries and destroyed household items.

We took in 2 kittens a few years back that were born somewhere on our property. I found their mother dead on the highway above our home, a vehicle victim. After bringing in so many over the years, I have never seen anything like these 2 boy littermates.

I called them "my little devils". There was little in our huge home that they did not put in disarray, some things had to be replaced or moved to safer areas they could not access. Movie and concert DVD's/chewed audio/video/phone cords/waste baskets, and on and on I could go. They often times had me questioning myself and the decision to add them to our "then, 11 other indoor felines"!

Sure, we have to watch the health of our elder felines, but overall, in our feline experiences, the only ones we ever had that needed knee surgery, were not the seniors of our feline family. Those surgeries came with a lot of expense, and lots of physical pain for them, and mental pain for us working with them during their recoveries.

Just saying, our decades of experiences have been pretty much a "wash" when it comes to the age of our many feline family members. Every adoptive parent should weigh everything very seriously before giving any rescue a "forever home". As I mentioned above, none come with any kind of warranty, and as with humans, we all hope for the best future life for our furry loved ones and ourselves.

Be well,

hckynut

hckynut(john)