Respected Contributor

One of the Good Things to Come Out of the Pandemic....

[ Edited ]

A shelter in Chicago has run out of adoptable dogs for the first time ever.  Hopefully this trend will continue and people will not dump these pets once the shelter in place is over.

Honored Contributor

Re: One of the Good Things to Come Out of the Pandemic....

People have recognized the importance of having a great companion.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LinmoThat's been my concern as well.  I do sincerely hope all those pups have found their forever home.  My other concern is, when after weeks of being together with their humans 24-7 how will these dogs handle a sudden change of being left alone all day?  If I had one of these pups I'd be walking them,  then leaving them at home later when I went for My own walk just so they'd get the idea I was always coming back eventually. snip that anxiety in the bud.

Respected Contributor

I don't care of thes trend at all.  It it similar to people who adopt chicks and bunnies around Easter, only to abandon them once the cute factor wears off.  People who adopt just because they are bored at home temporarily will not make good pet parents once the novelty is over.  I hope I am wrong.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

Off topic, but I understand that air pollution levels are dramatically down over some cities, both here in LA and in China that I have seen.  Not many cars on the road or factories in operation.  

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT wrote:

Off topic, but I understand that air pollution levels are dramatically down over some cities, both here in LA and in China that I have seen.  Not many cars on the road or factories in operation.  

@PamfromCT It's also been beneficial for climate change.  The Pope has suggested that maybe the coronavirus is nature's way of addressing it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@candys mine  Just yesterday, our vet (a friend) said how important it is to not be walking your dog each time you take a walk. Even if, in Molly's case, she's not a shelter find, but our pup for 7 years, I'm never home all day every day. She's become way too attached to me. I've worried what will  be Molly's reaction when everything goes back to normal and I resume my usual schedule. As a puppy, she had separation anxiety and is still taking meds to treat that behavior. 

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@candys mine  Just yesterday, our vet (a friend) said how important it is to not be walking your dog each time you take a walk. Even if, in Molly's case, she's not a shelter find, but our pup for 7 years, I'm never home all day every day. She's become way too attached to me. I've what will  be Molly's reaction when everything goes back to normal and I resume my usual schedule. As a puppy, she had separation anxiety and is still taking meds to treat that behavior. 

@candys mine  It will  be well into next year before things " get back to Normal"....months and months. I would not worry about THAT PROBLEM. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  Which problem? The abandonment of being foisted back onto the shelter or the percieved abandonment of being left behind in an empty house?

WHY WAIT when one can build a behavior over time instead of rushing it later?

Respected Contributor

@Linmo wrote:

@PamfromCT wrote:

@PamfromCT It's also been beneficial for climate change.  The Pope has suggested that maybe the coronavirus is nature's way of addressing it.

@Linmo - I have thought that exact same thing. I think God has definitely had a hand in this.