Valued Contributor

Re: On adopting a fearful dog

@Sooner  Thank you, Sooner. These are the questions that I keep asking myself.

Valued Contributor

@Annabellethecat66   I love reading all of your posts. You are a true animal lover. You truly are a very special person. 

Honored Contributor

@DJP wrote:

I've been looking to adopt a three to six year old dog. Because of my age I opt not to adopt a puppy. 

The shelter close to me has a chihuaha mix who was a stray. I don't know that I can help this poor little guy. They told me it could take a long time to put the dog at ease. I lost my sweet girl in February and really miss having a dog. 

I'm really torn about this adoption. Does anyone have suggestions? 

@DJP 

If you want this dog, please be prepared to spend what could be mucho $$$ on re-training them.  A few years back, we adopted a troubled dog and, long story short, he bit us both several times ... the hand that feeds him .... and he seriously "over reacted" to common things in the house.   We even considered  giving him back to the shelter because he wouldn't settle into the new home.

JMO, but it might be more than you can handle.  

Valued Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I did think of the money for health, training etc. Those are some of the things holding me back. Where I live in Pa. it's very difficult to adopt. Most of the dogs live more than 50 to 100+ miles away. I'm going to think long and hard about this. Thank You!

Trusted Contributor

Having been in dog rescue for many years, it amazes me that posters are assuming he's going to bite, not be housebroken, cost lots of money for training, etc.  I don't know how you can make assumptions based on a dog that's terrified in a noisy, cold shelter.

Many years ago I went to a shelter to adopt a dog.  I saw a golden retriever that caught my eye.  The dog had been surrendered by someone who was being deployed.  The staff told me they were going to put him down because everytime a staff member went to the cage, the dog growled and snapped.  I could see that the dog was terrified and took a chance and took him home.  He was a wonderful, sweet dog and I never heard a growl or a snap out of him. You have to also understand that many shelter staff aren't the most nurturing and understanding of the animals.  To many of them it's just a job to clean the cages and throw in a food bowl. It's no wonder many dogs are confused and frightened to be there.

Another example is of a chihuahua I fostered who was so terrified, whenever I would pick him up, he would defecate and pee.  The longer he was with me, he became extremely comfortable with the good life and turned out to be an adoring spoiled brat.

This is not to say that every dog rescued is not going to have issues, but it can't necessarily be assumed until the dog finds a home.  That's why I promote fostering.

Respected Contributor

I'm a bit surprised a shelter would adopt out a dog that growled and snapped everytime a staff member went into the cage. 

Trusted Contributor

@DJP  So sorry for the loss of your dog!  Have you met this little guy? If you are 'patient', he may just turn out to be a very good choice for you. He obviously needs a loving and calm environment, and you just might be the right person to give him a good life. It sounds like he's had a rough start, and needs a little guidance, understanding, and, most importantly, love. You may be his answer for a good home. My heart goes out to him, poor little guy! 

My dog, adopted through a shelter, was also Very shy. He is the most precious dog, and we are so happy that we gave him a chance! 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Trusted Contributor

@Sushismom wrote:

I'm a bit surprised a shelter would adopt out a dog that growled and snapped everytime a staff member went into the cage. 

The owner who surrendered the dog said he was a wonderful dog and even the shelter staff knew the dog was stresssed and confused being there and that's why he snapped and growled. . The dog wasn't vicious, just scared. The minute I gently took him out, he was so affectionate and sweet, I didn't have to think twice before I took him home.  

Shelters and rescues have to be honest about a dog's history. It's up to the adopter whether or not they are up for a challenge or training.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I adopted a beautiful chi-silky terrier mix who was very anxious and had awful separation anxiety. I was still going to the office when I adopted her. She was so anxious I had to take her to doggy daycare while I was away. She also had an excitement peeing issue whenever I came back. It went on a while. Finally, I got the vet to put her in doggy Prozac ( temporary) to calm her enough to retrain her. But many vets resist doing it. It worked but it took 2 years on the meds. 
She is a Great dog now, super loving and quite confident. But it took a lot of commitment. Not a single regret though. 
That is my story. Only you can decide if you want to take it on. Best wishes and HTH ! 

Trusted Contributor

If there is a certain breed you know you enjoy, check out rescue groups. They will have fosters within their group who will make sure the dog in their care is in every way adoptable.

Someone mentioned buying a puppy. Please don't do that. There are so many loving dogs waiting for forever homes waiting to be adopted