Esteemed Contributor

Older cats benefitting from new animals.

I think Petunia has put some new life in my older cat.  Tess was never a cuddly, loving cat.  I bought toys from day one and she woud bat them once or twice and they ended up under the furniture.  No holding, snuggling, or God forbid, kissing.  When she wants attention she comes to you, wheels her back to you and your are allowed to scratch her back at the base of her tail. Touch her anywhere else (sides, belly) at your own risk.

She was actually playing with toys last night.  I mean, toy in her front paws, up on her hind legs, playing. We couldn't believe it.  She loves the cat tree we bought.

She is still not friends with P but no fur has flown. She will sit and watch Petunia get a case of the crazies, running like back and forth.  The look on her face is "stupid kitten.", she gets up, tail in the air and struts off.

It nice to see her playing and having fun.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Older cats benefitting from new animals.

[ Edited ]

Sometimes animals learn things from other animals that they just don't get from loving humans.  That is why many rescues require another animal (ususally the same type - cat/cat or dog/dog) in the home for the adoption to be approved.  It ususally means the foster home has determined the animal really needs another like animal to teach it how to fully become a dog or a cat.  It sounds dumb, but it proves to be so very true with many pets.  They just blossom in so many new ways when paired with one of thier own kind.  Age does not seem to be a factor.  Sounds to me like Petunia has things instinctively that Tess is just learning from P.  Happy to hear it sounds like both of the lives are changing for the better!

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

As a cat lover I enjoyed your post @CrazyKittyLvr2 .

For many years cats always found me....they showed up at my house.

Bill and Katie are the only cats I chose.  

At various times I’ve had as many as 4 cats at a time.  

However, it’s usually 2 cats at one time.  Whenever another cat was introduced, the older cat would “perk up”.

It’s a scientific fact that,while they might not ‘love’ each other it does cause the older cat to move around more often, thus getting exercise, if it’s only to get out of the way!  Ha!

Im sorry to sound smug...but it takes a special person to be a cat lover.  

We bring the term “unconditional love” to the forefront...Heck put a gold star on it too!

We have to be available when THEY want affection.  Try calling a cat when it’s belly is full!  It ‘ain’t’ gonna happen.

Nopper, that cat will check back when it’s hungry or maybe when ‘it’ wants to play.

But I think us cat lovers would agree...it’s all worth it.  

When a cat looks up at you with those those amazing eyes and shows love...what cat lover doesn’t turn to mush?

I know I do.❤️😻

Esteemed Contributor

All of my cats have found me.  Growing I was never around cats.  Dogs, yep, not a cat in sight.

However, DH"s Mother had a Siamese, that was the bain of my existence.  I was not a cat person so, of course, guess who he came to. I was at his Mom's for the weekend, before marriage, and was in the bathroom  brushing my teeth. That darn cat got in the bathroom and rubbed against my legs.  I almost jammed the toothbrush down my throat. He startled me, I thought I was alone.

Respected Contributor

I have dogs, cats, birds currently.  I believe no animal should be the only one of its species in a human household if possible.  

Animals communicate and interact with each other in ways we can never fully understand or emulate. Animals need to have companionship beyond us.

Yes, they may quarrel, but there is nothing sweeter than watching:

One cat cuddle up to another and the two snuggle together and sleep

One dog gently lick the face and ears of the other

One bird kindly feed another and groom each other's heads

Respected Contributor

We can all learn from Tess - fun is good at any age - let's try to have more of it shall we???