Esteemed Contributor

My heart goes out to you, @Susan in California .  It is so hard to lose our beloved friends.  Nature took it's course and you didn't have to make the decision.  It sounds like you did everything you could for her last days, not to mention her whole life.  

While you will never forget her, your sadness will diminish and bring forth the joy of memories.  Take care~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Susan in California - I'm just seeing your post. I am so sorry. Your veterinarian cared about her and her comfort and you all too. She died in her own bed with her family with her. She knew you were there and she felt your love. That's the most you could have done for her. I will pray for you. You might have heard me say this before, and I apologize if you have - I believe in Billy Graham's view of pets in Heaven. God wants us to be happy in Heaven, and how can we be happy without our beloved four-legged children?  (((HUGS)))

Respected Contributor

@Susan in California Condolences to you and DH.  Your pup was very fortunate to have you.

Regular Contributor

So very sorry for your loss.  It will be such a hole in your life without your fur baby.  We try to think of the laughs and joy we had.  They are our babies who never grow up.  We will never have another Sammy but we and you gave them a great life.  Love and support, we truly know what you are going through.

Super Contributor

I have to admit that I am a coward about putting a pet down. I am ashamed to say that I have had other family members take our pets to have it done l know people who do not believe in putting down pets and say that the animal should be allowed to pass on their own. I believe that is cruel. We have ways of relieving the suffering of humans but we cannot put our pets in a bed and administer strong pain meds until they pass on. Animals deal with pain differently than people do. They just suffer. Few will cry but their activities do change when they are in pain. Imagine yourself in great pain with nothing to relieve it. Imagine having kidneys that are slowly shutting down or possible cancer that has been undetected somewhere in the body and not being able to tell anyone how you feel. Lets admit that most pets do not get the kind of health care that most Americans get.

You know your pet better than anyone. I know that most people do not want their pets to suffer although there are people who really do not care. I have been known to cry for days with the passing of a pet and I do not want to create a scene at the vets so I let someone else take them. I would be such a wreck that I would be no help to my beloved.

I have a dog who is approaching that age right now and I dread it. They live such short lives. Enjoy them while you can.