Honored Contributor

It is the hardest thing to do,except for losing a child, my heart goes out to you, i am still dealing with losing spirit, i am so sorry.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Older Dog Decline

[ Edited ]

Please have a vet come to your home.It is soooooooo much better for your old Furbaby.

We never can know if we are right or worng.

When I sent my Corgi to Ranibow Bridge,9 yrs ago,,he was much like your baby is now. 

He was old 19 and slept all day and ate very little. One day he just didn't want to get up anymore ,so the wonderful,kind and gentle vets came that afternoon and that was it.He died in my arms in his fav spot not on a cold table,like my now furbaby did  recently because of an emergency vet trip.

BUT, I must say ,there will be guilt no matter what you do.Because now,sometimes I think  that I was soooooo afraid he was gonna die that I killed him.Maybe he was happy being old and sleeping all the time...............he had no pain..

So whichever you choose,you will always have regrets.............

It's part of grief.

Sending {{{{{{{{Hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} your way.,

Respected Contributor

I'm not going to give advice because I can't. I have lost several dogs in the past few years and I did not have the courage to make that decision. My heart breaks for you 😞

Esteemed Contributor

You may want to talk to your vet, there may be some things they can do to make her more comfortable.  My old girl is also almost 14, last year I had this discussion with my vet.  She has been on an anti inflammatory for her arthritis and just this last weekend we added a pain medication.....it brought new life to her.  Was amazed with the difference, she was out running around again (as best she could at her ahe).  Whatever makes her happy at this point......

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Valued Contributor

I am with a previous poster, in that I am a cat person.  I have had more cats than I can count, and gone through this many times.  Of all the regrets that I have, are that I let them go for too long.  Looking back, we don't want to go through our pain of loosing them.  It's gonna hurt, big time.  Let them go, they will be waiting for you.  It's OK to say good by.  Love to you.

Respected Contributor

@Susan in CaliforniaHer appetite is probably poor because she is having some sort of pain, maybe from the arthritis.  Please take her to the vet and get a diagnosis.  My 14 year old large dog was recently put on anti-inflammatory medication for his pain and is eating normally again.   

Regular Contributor

Like many others I too feel your pain at this time.  We made our incredible decision last Christmas.  Our vet warned and advised us of waiting too long - pain for our little Sammy, pain for us watching.  We gave ourselves 3 more days with him.

The room they provided was so cosy with a sofa and a large dog bed for our larger furry friends.  We took him in his bed with his blanket and favorite toy.  She explained the procedure and then gave us a few moments along with him.  I sat on the floor while my husband gently cuddled him.  It was so quick and painless, my husband felt his heart stop within seconds.  I didn't expect it to be this way but it was the best we could hope for and would want in the future from our vet.

It's so so hard, painful and yet the ultimate gift of love.  I still cry most days but I feel that shows how much love is still there and always will be.  I want to send you strength, love and support.  You are not alone in this, we are all here with virtually holding you.x

Trusted Contributor

After my last post, we took our dog to the vet.  This vet  has been with us for more than twenty years.

He felt maybe she was struggling with joint pain and gave her predisone and then an appetite stimulant.

Blood tests were done.  White blood cell count was off.

At home, appetite did return for two days.  She moved around ok for those days.  Then appetite was far less, and she went back to walking less and sleeping a lot.

On Monday morning, I called vet. 

Before our appt., our beloved dog died on her bed.

My husband and I were with her.

Our vet said he felt she may have had cancer which was bleeding internally, and due to her age, surgery would not have been recommended.

She was such a unique, special dog.  She had a good life, but we will always miss her. 

Thank you for all your comments and concerns. 

I just wanted to let everyone know.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California    so so sorry for your loss. I wish I could hug you.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California   I'm so sorry for your loss.  I know how hard it is to lose such a beloved pet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau