Respected Contributor

Is she enjoying anything in life?  Happy to see you when you return? Dozing in the sun?   Watching out the window? Enjoys being scratched or brushed?

You should probably take her to the vet knowing that you may need to euthanize her.  But at the same time he/she could check her to see if there's something going on which could be treated, like arthritis, dental issue or something else.

So very sorry for this time in your life.  We know how sad anxious you feel. Our beloved animals are with us through thick and thin, and losing them is a heartache.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

We all do the best for our babies my Dear.  My heart has been broken many times.  

Haven't we all shed tears.......

Honored Contributor

Re: Older Dog Decline

[ Edited ]

@Susan in California 

You didn't say if the vet made a diagnosis on your dog.  What is wrong with her?  Old age isn't just old age.  It's usually heart or kidney failure or something else. 

You only give us symptoms that could be signs of something that could be treated.  

She is not eating well for a reason.  Find out what's causing it.  

Ask if she has cataracts.  Probably, most dog owners know dogs' eyes become cloudy as they age that aren't cataracts and can't be treated.  Usually, they don't lose all their eyesight.  My dog got around the house very well.  She could hear me when I raised my voice.  

You say she is walking slowly...well, she might be in pain from the arthritis.  Is she getting pain medication?  Of course, at her age, dogs slow down and aren't going to be running around.  

If this vet refuses to examine and test her in his office, go to another vet.  

IMO, it would be wrong for me to tell you to euthanize your dog without knowing about her specific medical issues and whether they can be treated. 

You love her very much.  I know you are sick about this and I will pray for you and your dog.  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan in California  Only time my dogs made me cry.....we used a vet who came to the house. Both for our 10 year old maltese and our 15 year old corgie (who was my son's dog).

They both suffered much longer than they should have. Both looked at me and told me they were ready. I think they were past ready actually.

I look at pictures of them both now but especially my little maltese, and I can see how he was suffering, but I didn't see it then. He spent the night at the emergency vet, we drove over to make sure he had his food, I hand fed him one whole weekend, and he held on. But I was holding on. I feel so bad now when I realize how miserable he was, that I waited like I did. I was his friend as much as he was mine, and as his friend it was my duty to help him. I still miss him, years later.

They give us so much joy and companionship, and only once break our hearts.

Honored Contributor

@Susan in California - I am not an expert on dogs (we have cats), but I'm married to a veterinarian. This is such a hard time for you and your heart is breaking. I think your pup is giving you some signals, but it is hard to know when it is the right time. DH always tells people "animals are very stoic." My advice to you is to call your veterinarian and speak to him/her personally. She/he may want you to bring her in so she can be observed some and you can tell her/him what is going on at home. 

I may not have dogs, but I have been through this many times with kitties. I will say a prayer for you tonight. (((HUGS)))

Trusted Contributor

@Another new name Sue 

Your questions are good, and I will try my best to reply.

She has always been a somewhat independent dog, but she has shown her love for us over the years in many, many ways.  She sleeps in our bedroom with another, younger dog we adopted three years ago.

She waits for us at the landing until at least one of us

goes to bed.  There are many more examples.  We never knew what her life was like before we adopted her, but our vet felt she may have been adopted at least twice and brought back because she had been at the SPCA for a month.

His comment was:

"A dog like this is usually adopted right away." She is medium in size and was not aggressive and got along with other dogs.

Her "issues" were not horrific.  She shredded paper when left alone, was a little nervous.

We have been retired the whole time we have had her, and she travels in the car with us wherever we go.

She has loved running on the beach, going on walks, being a barker if someone arrived at our gate...just being a wonderful dog.

Even when we visited our family in San Francisco, the dogs were part of our visit.  So her time alone has been extremely minimal--a few hours only a few times.

Our life is very dog centered.

Our Vet is wonderful, and we have a good relationship with him. 

Does she seem to enjoy life now?  Not much.  She did bark this morning when she saw a delivery at the gate.  That was so good to hear!

She does not respond to a whole lot, and has been showing signs of a little confusion for a while.  Her vision is less than what it used to be, but she is not blind. 

She was "examined" a few months ago for her annual visit, and nothing was noted other that the getting older aspect.  Our vet does not push blood work unless he feels there is a need, so there was no mention of doing blood work.

Our vet knows we will do anything necessary for our dogs, so he doesn't hesitate making recommendations.

We have decided to call first thing in the morning and try to get an appt tomorrow for an exam and any bloodwork that might be suggested. 

I suspect he will come to our car after.  I will send a long, detailed note along with our dog.   The vet is curbside only, which is difficult. The last exam was

our two dogs in the vet's office while we waited in the car.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post.  It means so much to me. 

Valued Contributor

Dogs aren't afraid to die, they are afraid of pain or suffering. Heart

Respected Contributor

@Susan in California , I could write almost the same post.  Our Lab Lily is almost 14 years old.  She is not in as bad condition as your pet but we know the time is not far away.  She still goes for slow walks, eats all her meals but has slowed down considerably.

When the time comes, we will have her euthanized at home.  Our last Lab was euthanized at home.  The vet gave her a sedative and, when she was asleep, euthanized her.  She died in my arms on her favourite blanket.  

It is such a hard thing to do.  I am saying a prayer for your and your family to recognize when the time is right.  I know your pain is just around the corner for us.  S

Trusted Contributor

When I knew it was time for our dogs to go, I had a vet come to my house to euthanize them in their favorite spot in the house surrounded by loved ones. No going to the vet and getting the injection on a cold metal table.  It made my decision easier knowing it was done in a place of love.  Clearly you know it's time. Best wishes. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Susan in California please accept my utter and complete empathy and sympathy for what you're going through.  I am in tears after reading your post and all the other kind posters who wrote.  It sounds like your pups could not have a better home; how very blessed they are...as are you from their companionship!  

Providing the exam/blood work shows nothing is really "wrong" with your baby that could be treated, our vet has always told us that once a dog stops eating or you have to coax it to eat, then it is time.  Once I started using this guideline, it has made the decision easier--not easy--but easier.  

Our last pup had a very aggressive form of bone cancer.  Until the diagnosis, he was still eating when he wasn't doped up on painkillers, but once we got the diagnosis that that was what it was and that he would not get better, we made the decision right then and there.  Even though he was still eating, there was no hope--only months of pain and being doped-up to control the pain.  We could have amputated his leg, and he would have felt better and been fine for a few months, but then the cancer would return, and there we'd be again.  That decision would have been for us--to keep him here for us--not for him and his quality of life.  I cried so hard, and the staff at the vet office cried, too, but it was the most humane thing to do.  One of the hardest things ever...but still the right decision, and I don't regret it.

Much love to you and yours, and please keep us informed.  I will be looking for your posts.  <3