Esteemed Contributor

Old dogs, new tricks: 10,000 pets needed for science

SEATTLE (AP) — Scientists are looking for 10,000 pet dogs for the largest-ever study of aging in canines. They hope old dogs can teach us new tricks, or even shed light on human longevity.

The project launched Thursday will collect a pile of pooch data. And a small group will test a pill that could slow the aging process. Owners can nominate their pets by visiting the Dog Aging Project website.

Researchers at the University of Washington School of Medicine are organizing the effort with a veterinarian from Texas A&M University. They say what we learn about how dogs age could lead to advances for human health.

Dogs in the study will live at home and follow their usual routines. All ages and sizes, purebreds and mutts are welcome.

Direct link to FAQs:  https://dogagingproject.org/faqs/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Old dogs, new tricks: 10,000 pets needed for science

[ Edited ]

"Rapamycin, also called sirolimus, is a drug that has been used in people for decades for cancer chemotherapy or organ transplant anti-rejection."

Rapomycin is an immunosuppressive agent.  Very serious stuff.  

Side effects: Increased susceptibility to infections, lymphoma, and other malignancies.  

Many other side effects here.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/sirolimus-side-effects.html

Even at low doses...what are the short and long term side effects in dogs?  I don't want my dogs suffering any of them even mildly.  

Although, this study may be admirable, my dogs aren't guinea pigs.  No way!

Honored Contributor

I would never want any of my dogs "testing a pill."  It would scare me to death that they might have side effects that could make them very ill or kill them.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

1112e1c4d14fe99f59c4918658ce91d9.jpg

What worries you masters you.
Esteemed Contributor

Considering that my oldest will soon turn 15 I don't really know if I would want him on the medication but knowing that it has had life extending benefits to humans and research mice I would have to give the decision a lot of thought and a lot of conversation with my vet.  This drug was first approved in 1999.

The concerns about the medication are not unreasonable but don't overlook how many lives have been saved and extended by that drug. Also, every prescribed, experimental and OTC drug can have serious, even life threatening side effects.

I have not read what kind of agreement needs to be entered into but this is a study and only a small number of pets will be considered for the drug. I sincerely doubt that a participating pet owner would be forced to agree to put their pet on the drug protocol.

Even though the drug is part of the study I got the impression that the primary focus is on the lifestyle, for lack of a better word, of the pet.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Foxxee wrote:

"Rapamycin, also called sirolimus, is a drug that has been used in people for decades for cancer chemotherapy or organ transplant anti-rejection."

Rapomycin is an immunosuppressive agent.  Very serious stuff.  

Side effects: Increased susceptibility to infections, lymphoma, and other malignancies.  

Many other side effects here.

https://www.drugs.com/sfx/sirolimus-side-effects.html

Even at low doses...what are the short and long term side effects in dogs?  I don't want my dogs suffering any of them even mildly.  

Although, this study may be admirable, my dogs aren't guinea pigs.  No way!

I just went to the study website. Only a small sample of dogs will be asked to study the medicine. Most dogs will not be involved in this part of the study and partivipation in this arm is voluntary. Most owners will just be sending in saliva samples and filling out questionnaires. Here is what the site says:

“So, Dr. Creevy, what is the Dog Aging Project anyway?

The Dog Aging Project is a research endeavor involving scientists at a number of colleges and universities, as well as companion dogs and their owners from across the US. We want to understand the genetic and environmental factors that affect healthy aging in dogs. We hope to discover the underlying processes through which genes and lifetime experiences influence aging. Ultimately, we hope to determine why some dogs develop disease or die at younger ages, while others live disease-free into later life.

How does it work?

We plan to enroll 10,000 companion dogs throughout the US into a longitudinal study, which will be the largest ever of its kind. A longitudinal study is a type of research study in which individuals are closely monitored for a long period of time. This type of study is observational, meaning that our canine participants are not assigned to receive any type of drug or other treatment. Instead, they go about their lives as usual, while our team of researchers periodically collects information about them from questionnaires, physical examinations, or diagnostic tests.

What do you hope to learn from this kind of study?

Longitudinal studies allow us to connect experiences early in life with health outcomes in old age. Using this information, we can investigate how those early events may have directly or indirectly caused late-in-life health issues. The key to success in these endeavors is knowing the full life story of many individual dogs.

Is there anything else that you want our readers to know about the work you have planned?

Actually, yes! The Dog Aging Project will also perform an interventional study with a smaller group of companion dogs. In an interventional study, subjects are randomly assigned either to receive or not to receive a particular treatment. Then, the two groups are followed to compare their health outcomes. If there are differences, it is likely that the treatment caused those effects. In this case, we will test a highly promising drug called rapamycin for the possibility that it can improve health during aging and also extend lifespan.

It sounds like the goals of the project are right in line with what most of us pet owners want for our dogs.

Absolutely! We’re bringing together dogs, owners, veterinarians, researchers, and volunteers to carry out the most ambitious canine science project in the world. As a veterinarian and as a pet owner myself, I couldn’t be more thrilled.

If you and your companion dog would like to be part of the Dog Aging Project, click here to enroll.”