Honored Contributor

I've got two old dogs who are soon going to require I make a difficult decision.  They are both purebred rescues and are beautiful animals.  The older one is an Aussie that I've had 12 years; she was supposed to have been 5-6 years old when I got her.  She's completely deaf and can hardly see.  She's so frail that she falls over if someone accidently brushes against her.  She gets around okay and eats well.  She was a real pistol in her youth, very athletic.  She'll pace around the house for hours panting.

The other dog is a sable & white collie, a real looker.  She just turned 12 years old and has always been very healthy.  She gets around fine but is also pretty deaf, although she seems to see okay.  I spent some time brushing her today and wore her out.  She conked out in the bedroom and I went back 3 times to get her for dinner.  I don't think she ever ate.

Both of these old ladies spend most of their time sleeping. The have nice soft beds so they're comfortable.  I got a year old pup last November who tries to engage them in a little play and this has perked them up.  The pup can be a real PIA but they're really patient with her.

I hate when pets get old and you have to decide when it's time for that final trip to the vet.  These two have been such good dogs; both are AKC Herding Instinct Certified.

Heres a picture of the girls taken several years ago.image.jpeg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I know exactly how you feel as I've been right where you are.  We are coming up on the second anniversary of when we had to say goodbye to our Dudley, who was almost 16 years old.  He was part Golden, part herding shepherd.  He was a real character and was the heart and soul of our home.  I still can't get used to the fact that he is no longer here.

Then, just a few months later, we had to make the decision again with our cat, Daisy, who was almost 18.  And, we've lost several others over the years.

Our house is too quiet and feels so lonely, unless the grandbabies are here.  I would love to have another cat and/or dog.  But, I just can't deal with the pain and worry anymore.  I had the two senior animals at one time, and their health issues really took a toll on my emotions and sleep, for a couple of years. 

I'm so glad you have a younger dog to help you to get through this. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline  My sympathy on the loss of your pets.  It's really hard, isn't It?  I had to have two put down last November, my avatar dog who lost the use of his back legs and a rescue from a hoarding seizure that I spent a year nursing but we couldn't overcome her auto-immune disease.  I was just devastated.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

@Kachina624  I feel so sad for you.  These decisions are heart-wrenching.  Just a note, our vet told me with our big guy last year that panting can be a sign of pain.  It helped me decide it was time.  My thoughts are with you.

Trusted Contributor

Beautiful picture Kachina.  How lucky you are to have them and them you!  I love old dogs.  And thanks for getting rescues, you saved two lives! Terrible decision to make but they tell you when they're ready.  My thoughts are with you, I know what a difficult time it is. 

Respected Contributor

My heart goes out to you also....they are lovely ladies those two old gals. Your post reminded me of Tom T. Halls song...."old dogs and children, and watermelon wine" bless you for being their momma all these years.

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624, two beautiful dogs.  Thinking of you and wishing there was an easier way.  Our pets should last a lifetime.  ❤️ LM

Esteemed Contributor

A few  years back i had two small poodles...a Toy and a Minature......My minature we had first and adopted the Toy a year or two later...they were inseparable.  The little Toy followed my Minature dog everywhere...they slept together...were so bonded......at 12 years one Feb my Toy had a heart attack and passed away .....6 mthsl later we had to make a decision for my 15 1/2 yr old Minature....her functioning had been off for a while........the hardest decision and once in a while i find myself saying "could we have kept the Minature a bit longer??"......it is so hard sometimes to ponder over that thought.....she had a growth in her stomach the vet said if they operated at her age she may be able to survive...but she was having accidents...sight wasn't good...would just walk off the bed, sofa or any chair she was on and fall....had to feed her sometime by hand if she hadn't eaten well or drank much water...and i know she missed her little buddy....would find her just standing in the corner of the room................just heartbreaking.....so i understand your pain.......

Super Contributor

When it is time, ask the vet to give them a sedative first.  That calms them down and makes it sooo much easier.

We didn't know about that when we had to put down our first German Shepherd and it was awful to watch.

So sorry, i know how you feel.

Respected Contributor

They're beautiful babies.  The only down side to owning pets is having to make that awful decision.

Your Aussie's panting and pacing is concerning and worth talking to the Vet about.  As someone else mentioned it is often an indication of pain.

Your collie though sounds like she's aging well.  Dogs can compensate for deafness.  Being easily tired just comes with age.  Even humans deal with that as we age.  I just always hope and pray my babies can pass easily and peacefully naturally, but if/when the need arises to make that decision I believe we owe them that.