Respected Contributor

Re: Oh dear, we think Petunia's in heat....

We never had cats growing up so when I adopted my first cat as an adult I had no idea what age they went into heat.  Tina started doing exactly what you are describing so I got her into the vet to be spayed.  I agree that you should try to get in sooner.  She will be happier and so will you.  Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  The earlier they are spayed, the less immune system protection due to hormone changes so that is why vets want to wait.  The vet should also be able to give a hormone shot to take her out of heat.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook  I am calling the vet this am.  The only quiet we had was from 2:45 am to 4:45 am. 

I feel bad for her but holy cow it was a short night.  I can nap during the day but DD is heading off to work.  Her butt will be dragging this afternoon.

Valued Contributor

I wouldn't wait. Why make her go through this? Take her to a more compassionate vet. My son is an excellent vet and spays and neuters kitties younger than 6 months.

Honored Contributor

It's probably best to wait until this heat is over to get her spayed. A heat will last about a week.

Most Vets do not want to spay an animal in the middle of a heat.  It is more difficult to do it then and not quite as safe and if they do agree to do it, they will charge you more.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2   What did the Vet say when you called this morning?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Comic relief.  DH & I had a white male cat who was promptly neutered.  We later adopted a pure black female kitten where it was recommended she be spayed a little later.

DH had never been exposed to cats, whereas I was a farmgirl.

Low and behold the two cats played together normally and were buddies, until the female went into her first heat.  What squalling emitted from this petite female!!!

DH was horrified "He's hurting her!!!"  Um, no, she's just frustrated.  Luckily, we were able to separate them until the vet was ready to spay her.

Denise
Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  They don't do it before 6 months.  They also said by the time she is done this time it will be timre for her spaying.

They won't do it while she's in heat.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@NickNack  They don't do it before 6 months.  They also said by the time she is done this time it will be timre for her spaying.

They won't do it while she's in heat.

@CrazyKittyLvr2   I do understand the Vet's reasoning but hope you and your daughter can stand it for the next week or two.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack  You and me both.  lol   The vet said it can last 3 days to 2 weeks.  I am hoping Petunia's bout is shorter than the 2 weeks. We will be walking zombies.

I told Petunia she is too young to "date".