Super Contributor

Re: October is Adopt A Shelter Dog Month ... I Did My Part

@pupwhipped  Thanks!

Super Contributor

@Annabellethecat66  For me, wahoo is a mindset ... I plan on enjoying my time while I'm here.  The GSD's name is Zanie. The Mastiff's name is Zander (on a Z kick right now Smiley Happy).

Super Contributor

@Citrine1  While our shelters do get a lot of pitties, they also get tons of other purebred dogs. I adopted our Boston Terrier from a local shelter almost 2 years ago. I've seen just about everything at the shelters from Afghan Hounds to Old English Sheepdogs to Chihuahuas to every size Poodle.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz I see....my daughter graduated from UVA and they sometimes calll themselves Wahoo's....

Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz We have a nearby Greyhound rescue which, obviously, only has greyhounds.  I've taken this under serious consideration, but again, I have a fear of bringing an adult dog into my home when I already have an adult dog here.  We've always had a two dog home, and my dogs have overlapped over the years, but it's always been a puppy who was the new dog coming into the home.  I am down to one dog right now and, even though I've checked the shelter frequently over the last several months, they haven't had any puppies.

Oh well, my problem to figure out.  Haha.  You've given me food for thought!

Super Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

@Wahoogaz We have a nearby Greyhound rescue which, obviously, only has greyhounds.  I've taken this under serious consideration, but again, I have a fear of bringing an adult dog into my home when I already have an adult dog here.  We've always had a two dog home, and my dogs have overlapped over the years, but it's always been a puppy who was the new dog coming into the home.  I am down to one dog right now and, even though I've checked the shelter frequently over the last several months, they haven't had any puppies.

Oh well, my problem to figure out.  Haha.  You've given me food for thought!

@Citrine1  I totally understand your concerns about bringing an adult dog into your home. My first concern is always for the dogs I already have at home. I guess the only thing I can say is ... be honest with yourself about your current dog. If you don't think s/he would tolerate a new adult - go for a puppy. If you think s/he'd be okay with an adult dog ... take the time to find a dog that is friendly with other dogs.

I was lucky ... the place I got these two from 'dog test' the dogs as part of their in-processing. Also, the workers/volunteers went on and on about how sweet both of the dogs were with people and dogs. So, I got a good feeling from both dogs when I visited with them and I felt the people were being honest with what they were telling me.

Trust your instincts with both the dogs you consider and the people you deal with.

Valued Contributor

They are both stunning!

Regular Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

You don't often see such beautiful dogs (or purebreds) at shelters.  At least, not in my area.  Mostly pit bull mixes at my local shelter.  I hesitate to adopt a pit bull or pit bull mix as I have a dog and young grandson who visits often.

At any rate, bless you for adopting them @Wahoogaz.  So glad to know that they fit right in with your family.  

@Citrine1 wrote:

You don't often see such beautiful dogs (or purebreds) at shelters.  At least, not in my area.  Mostly pit bull mixes at my local shelter.  I hesitate to adopt a pit bull or pit bull mix as I have a dog and young grandson who visits often.

At any rate, bless you for adopting them @Wahoogaz.  So glad to know that they fit right in with your family.  

Our son/daughter-in-law have a wonderful pit bull who was adopted from the shelter.  He is so sweet and very well mannered.  A friend of mine has two, one is a pit mix and the other a full pit bull.  She says they are wonderful dogs.  Most dogs can be agressive if that is what they are taught.

Honored Contributor

Image result for adopt a shelter dog month imagesImage result for adopt a shelter dog month images

Honored Contributor

Congratulations on your new furbabies!

When I retire in a few months, I plan to hit the shelters.

I lost my 2 black labs to old age and I can't stand my house without a dog.

Not even the 2 cats make up for it!!   But I do love my kitties.

@Wahoogaz