Respected Contributor

Re: OMG, I just saw the biggest dog I've ever laid eyes on

@kjae wrote:

Interesting to read comments on Akitas. Our beautiful boy passed away a year ago. He found my daughter at her apartment door in college and he was about a year old.  He was an Akita Inu (Japanese, not American) weighing only 87 pounds.  The sweetest dog to all.  All of  the vets loved him.  A true character.  He lived to be 14.  We had 3 cats  He would romp with our little Maltese and chase the cats.   I miss my baby. 

Not at all like some of you have described Akitas to be. He was loving, playful, mischievous, and loyal. Never aggressive.

I really hate it when people put all of one breed of dog in a box. Not all dogs of a breed act the same. All my frenchies are different as were all my chihuahuas. 

Respected Contributor

I am a former Akita owner who went to rainbow bridge many years ago. Nikko was not 150, most are 75-95lbs. My girl was about 65. 

They are stubborn and strong willed. We had a fenced in yard but they require serious training. Very loyal

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

It was an American Akita and it's HUGE: if it's an ounce un 150 lbs. I'll eat my hat. I had to go pick up my car from getting repaired and there he/she/it was, all sprawled out on the floor, sound asleep.

I just read up on American Akitas and boy, that's one dog I wouldn't want to ****** off!

@GoneButNotForgotten   

How much does an American Akita weigh?
Mature American type males measure typically 26-28 inches (66-71 cm) at the withers and weigh between 100-130 lb (45-59 kg). Mature females typically measure 24-26 inches (61-66 cm) and weigh between 70-100 lb (32-45 kg).
Super Contributor

My Italian mastiff is 149 pounds. I know he's big, but he looks normal to me. Big size doesn't equate to 'mean dog'.

Valued Contributor

I would LOVE to have an English Mastiff! They have (most anyway) a gentle soul. We have one in our neighborhood who is an old boy. He breaks my heart because he has major hip issues and is having trouble standing and walking now. Poor boy looks sad. ;-(

His owners take such good care of him and I'm sure it is killing them to see him like that. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

My Italian mastiff is 149 pounds. I know he's big, but he looks normal to me. Big size doesn't equate to 'mean dog'.

@Wahoogaz 

Agreed.

Some people assume that if a dog is bigger than a teacup, then it must be mean and vicious.

Some of the gentlest dogs have been big dogs, and some of the most aggressive have been small dogs.

I'll take a big dog any day over an ankle biter.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Super Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

I would LOVE to have an English Mastiff! They have (most anyway) a gentle soul. We have one in our neighborhood who is an old boy. He breaks my heart because he has major hip issues and is having trouble standing and walking now. Poor boy looks sad. ;-(

His owners take such good care of him and I'm sure it is killing them to see him like that. 

@CritterKeeper  If you're friends with them, you may want to suggest they see if any vets in the area work with acupuncture and Chinese herbs for their dog. This worked wonders with my French Mastiff when she had mobility issues.

Super Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

@Wahoogaz wrote:

@Wahoogaz 

Agreed.

Some people assume that if a dog is bigger than a teacup, then it must be mean and vicious.

Some of the gentlest dogs have been big dogs, and some of the most aggressive have been small dogs.

I'll take a big dog any day over an ankle biter.

I've currently got 5 dogs ... ranging from 15 pounds to 149 pounds. The mastiff is definitely the most mellow of the group and the 15 and 20 pound brothers are the loudest.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

It was an American Akita and it's HUGE: if it's an ounce un 150 lbs. I'll eat my hat. I had to go pick up my car from getting repaired and there he/she/it was, all sprawled out on the floor, sound asleep.

I just read up on American Akitas and boy, that's one dog I wouldn't want to ****** off!

@GoneButNotForgotten   That reminded me of my encounter with a huge mastiff. I was at Starbucks and a fellow came his "puppy" and sat at the next outdoor table. Whoa! This dog's paws were the size of my head!!! Huge all over...sweet and well behaved, but gosh, BIG! When the man stood up to leave at the same time I did, his dog, Oscar, stood up on his hind legs and put his paws on the man's shoulders...asumme that was his shtick. Oscar was a gentle giant. That puppy  had to be 6' tall stretched out like that. At 5' (barely), standing next to Oscar, I was dwarfed in comparison. I obviously never forgot the experience. 

Valued Contributor

@CritterKeeper wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten   Now, this is a big dog.  :-)maxresdefault.jpg...

Is that a Saint Bernard???...or an Akita??