Honored Contributor

OK, need a resolution

[ Edited ]

My little girl was hand fed the first 5.5 mos. of her life. This was done so she could have a chance to eat, because of other dogs there.

There may be no other solution to this than to keep it up or ? But...she will wine that she's hungry rather than feed herself. We've left food available to her, but she will look and sniff, not eat of it, herself. She knows she doesn't have other dogs, so I don't know why she doesn't just go ahead and eat. We figured when she gets hungry enough, she'll go feed herself, but she doesn't. She has no problem eating and would be happy to eat what she sees us eating. I don't believe she was fed prior to our getting her, from people's table.

Did you ever have this go on with any dog? Solution? I haven't been through this one before. Ideas would fine too, as long as it's not "leave it out for her she'll feed when hungry", we've tried it.

Esteemed Contributor

Certainly not an expert, but here's what I would do:  I would sit down next to her food bowl, pat her then hand feed her a handful, then a smaller handful, etc., keeping my hand closer to the bowl each time, then over the bowl.  Then drop some of the kibble from my hand and pick each piece up from the bowl (maybe hiding a few small pieces of cheese in the bowl and hand feeding her one or two).  I believe in time she will learn she can eat from the bowl herself.  Including a surprise treat, like leftover chicken or sandwich meat, I believe will encourage her to go for it. 

IMHO since she's always been hand-fed she doesn't know it's all right for her to eat from the bowl and she believes she's being a good girl by waiting to be hand-fed.  What a GOOD GIRL, she really is!  Think about it, starving, but being obedient in her mind!  You must re-train her; she's intelligent, obedient and ready to please you!  So, in time she'll get to learn it's OKAY to eat out of the bowl.

Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

Certainly not an expert, but here's what I would do:  I would sit down next to her food bowl, pat her then hand feed her a handful, then a smaller handful, etc., keeping my hand closer to the bowl each time, then over the bowl.  Then drop some of the kibble from my hand and pick each piece up from the bowl (maybe hiding a few small pieces of cheese in the bowl and hand feeding her one or two).  I believe in time she will learn she can eat from the bowl herself.  Including a surprise treat, like leftover chicken or sandwich meat, I believe will encourage her to go for it. 

IMHO since she's always been hand-fed she doesn't know it's all right for her to eat from the bowl and she believes she's being a good girl by waiting to be hand-fed.  What a GOOD GIRL, she really is!  Think about it, starving, but being obedient in her mind!  You must re-train her; she's intelligent, obedient and ready to please you!  So, in time she'll get to learn it's OKAY to eat out of the bowl.

I agree with this advice.  She sounds obedient and trainable.  Her behaviour will have to be unlearned and it may take awhile.  You will have to be consistant about it......yes it will take patience.  I think it will pay off though.  How lucky is this sweet dog to have you for a mommy Smiley Happy.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Super Contributor

Yes, with my last dog. I never thought it would end. What I finally did was start tossing her kibble in the air as a game for her to catch it. At first it was just a little toss with her close to me. Then a little higher, and higher so she had to back up little by little. Then I put her food bowl on the floor and started to aim at the bowl. Sometimes she caught it in the air, other time she got it when it landed. I praised her whenever she got one out of the bowl.  I gradually started leaving more and more food in the bowl and only took a few pices out for the tossing game. When one landed in the bowl, she would get it out, and sometimes another bite from the bowl. She got praise whenever she ate from the bowl.

It took a while, but she eventually learned to eat from the bowl. Good luck - I know it can be done!

Honored Contributor

I'll have to try a little cheese. I know peanut butter would work. A little for a little while. I've tried about everything else, but I'll keep these ideas in mind. She does love to play. Thanks ladies and Merry Christmas!!

Honored Contributor

My friend gives her dog his water from a sippy cup - I don't know why. But she claims he will only drink this way. He's a cocker spaniel so that is a lot of water to hand feed. Anyway, she had surgery last summer and I stayed at her place (she lives alone) but spent about 12 hours of the day at the hospital with her. (a neighbor would let the dog out to potty a couple times). I would put water in his bowl with a few ice cubes in it to keep it cool and when I came home the bowl was empty each evening.I never gave him any water from that sippy cup and he just drank from his bowl. Clearly, the dog  has her trained & he knows only she feeds him that way.