Honored Contributor

OC Raw Dog Treats and OC Raw Dog Food Recalls

Because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified, I'm sending you this special recall alert. If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please click the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of this message.

Important: This email alert includes 2 different recalls.

OC Raw Dog is recalling one lot of its Freeze-Dried dog treats product because it has the potential to cause botulism poisoning.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link:

OC Raw Dog Recalls Dog Treats | April 2018

In addition...

OC Raw Dog is also recalling one lot of its raw frozen dog food due to potential contamination with Listeria monocytogenes bacteria.

To learn which products are affected, please visit the following link:

OC Raw Dog Recalls Dog Food Due to Risk of Listeria

Please share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor

The Dog Food Advisor

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: OC Raw Dog Treats and OC Raw Dog Food Recalls

Thank you for sharing this important information.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I read article after article that advise against feeding dogs a raw diet.  I don't know why people persist in doing it.  It can be dangerous for the dog and owner.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I read article after article that advise against feeding dogs a raw diet.  I don't know why people persist in doing it.  It can be dangerous for the dog and owner.

I agree with you @Kachina624.  It seems like every recall that I've posted lately has been for a raw diet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I agree @Kachina624 ....I never did and never will...

Occasional Contributor

I have fed a raw diet to my dogs for almost 25 years.  Neither the dogs nor I have ever had a problem.  When preparing their food, I use the same safety precautions that I normally use to prepare food for my family.  There are many recalls of processed dog foods as well.  

Esteemed Contributor

How is it a danger to a human?

Trusted Contributor

My daughter, a veterinarian, says that pets should not be fed raw meat for the same reason that humans should not eat raw meat - exposure to pathogens.  Salmonella, Listeria, E.coli, Sarcocystis cruzi, Sarcocystic tenella, Toxoplasma gondii, etc.  She HAS treated pets that became sick from these.  In addition, if a person is mixing up their own pet food, there's the additional possibility of malnutrition.  Recently she had a pet owner confess to giving her dog nothing but turkey meatballs for years.  

There are two possible dangers to humans.  One is that they don't practice careful sanitation when preparing and handling raw meat.  The other possibility is that the pet becomes sick and at that point the pathogen is transferred from the pet to the human. A zoonotic pathogen is one that transfers from animals to humans.   My daughter says that despite the old wive's tale, dogs mouths are not really clean, and they shouldn't be allowed to like human faces or open wounds.

Esteemed Contributor

@cerb wrote:

My daughter, a veterinarian, says that pets should not be fed raw meat for the same reason that humans should not eat raw meat - exposure to pathogens.  Salmonella, Listeria, E.coli, Sarcocystis cruzi, Sarcocystic tenella, Toxoplasma gondii, etc.  She HAS treated pets that became sick from these.  In addition, if a person is mixing up their own pet food, there's the additional possibility of malnutrition.  Recently she had a pet owner confess to giving her dog nothing but turkey meatballs for years.  

There are two possible dangers to humans.  One is that they don't practice careful sanitation when preparing and handling raw meat.  The other possibility is that the pet becomes sick and at that point the pathogen is transferred from the pet to the human. A zoonotic pathogen is one that transfers from animals to humans.   My daughter says that despite the old wive's tale, dogs mouths are not really clean, and they shouldn't be allowed to like human faces or open wounds.

And many vet highly recommend feeding a raw diet that is done properly and safe handling practices are maintained. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I tried a raw diet with 3 different dogs over the years and none of them had any interest in raw meat.

But cook it up, chop it up and add to their kibble and they were all over it!

I cook chicken breast, beef liver or chicken livers to add to Kingston's food, he loves it.

Of course, he's a weird dog, he likes veggies like peas and green beans in his food too, LOL!

To him, raw baby carrots are a treat!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.