Respected Contributor

I had my dog's Vit D levels checked in her most recent labs as I have been reading about vit D levels and overall health and longevity in a dogs' life.

I was surprised to find it was very low as she eats very high-quality dog food.  She is on an rx for vit D and we will recheck in a few months.

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl -

That is such good information!

I wish we had known about that with my granddogs!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Now she is on Vit D too

[ Edited ]

Have read  studies have shown  that   healthy vitamin D levels > 25  in humans not only  help with  osteoporosis Rx   but can also have a positive effect in inflammation. Alot of  dogs   can have hip problems  or  arthritis . Maybe that's why your Vet was checking his level

Honored Contributor

Thank you for this information @Abrowneyegirl .  Frankie will have blood work at her exam in March.  I keep a running list of things to discuss with the Vet and just added that to it.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

I wonder if dogs absorb Vit. D from the sun like people do?  If so, I doubt any island dog around here will have this particular problem!

Respected Contributor

@mrssweetiebear 

No, they do not.  Diet only.

The problem is that too much vit D is toxic to dogs so the dog food companies put little in the food to avoid problems.

Regular Contributor

Well dang it @Abrowneyegirl , that's too bad.  But good to know and mahalo for clarifying! 

Esteemed Contributor

My vet (holistic) checks Willie's and he is on prescription Vitamin D drops.  His levels are checked once a year.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

@mrssweetiebear wrote:

Well dang it @Abrowneyegirl , that's too bad.  But good to know and mahalo for clarifying! 

You are very welcome.

You will at times see dog food recalled due to too much Vit D in the mix.

When we got the rx Vit D they were VERY clear about the dosage as it is a liquid that gets added to her food.  The dose is literally a few drops a day.  

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

My vet (holistic) checks Willie's and he is on prescription Vitamin D drops.  His levels are checked once a year.

We also use a holistic vet!!