Esteemed Contributor

Re: November is Adopt a Senior Pet Month -- think about it!

@Drythe wrote:

@KailaS wrote:

@Drythe

My Hunter, a long- haired orange kitty, came into my life in 2010.  I was his third official home in two months although he obviously had been abused before finding his way to the shelter where two other families tried to adopt him.  Hunter was aggressive, scared, and lacking in all civil kitty behavior when I adopted him. (His Gotcha’ Day is February 19). Hunter and I still are a team.  He needed two years to trust me and still is wary of many humans, but he now is my cuddle- bunny. I wish you luck and patience.  I hope Ralphie’s story has the same happy ending that mine with Hunter has had. Smiley Happy

@KailaS

Bless you for giving Hunter a forever home, what a gift for both of you.  

Ralphie ‘took to me’ right away, clearly he wants a human to love him.  He has had issues with our Labs, they are not puppies, they are adults and are fully aware of the respect due to cats. So, I’m sure that will turn around, he is already walking nearer to them.

His issue is with our three other cats.  Two of them are brother and sister, about 8 just about Ralphie’s age.  He tried to fight with them at first, but they just sat and looked at him.  Still, any chance, he tries to start something with  them.

And then there is Marie Leveau, the last of my four Catrina rescues.  She is now at least 14, blind, lost her teeth, and gets daily injections for diabetes. He hates her, the only way I can say it.  She is old, she just wants to sleep in the sun, and live out her time in Peace.  He stalks her, pounces on her when she is sleeping, drops down on her from tables and chairs when she walks by,  and is generally making her life miserable.  I’ve been working at home the last three weeks, and I know she is doing her best to ignore and stay away from him.  She has seen many, many cats and dogs come and leave, so she has no issues with the newbies.  But Ralph has a problem.

We have given love and shelter to so many feral / rescue cats, and lost dogs, we have an abundance of patience, respect, and Love.  No matter what, he is safe, but the scaring and hurting our dear, old lady who came through (. ) to get here is breaking my heart.  

Keeping On.

__________________________ @Drythe

I am so glad, by happenstance, that I found the somewhat (of the reason that Ralphie) is trusting you and not so with the other cats, especially the older one, not to exclude the Labs.

My story of our now adopted Sashay is:::::: she was from the age of 8 weeks old an ONE cat home + 1 dog she grew up with. The neighbor 1st owner -out of the blue said to me he was empowered to take his handy man's cats and care for them >> because the guy just said, ' he was leaving and he didn't want any of them'.

Great neighborhood- highly intelligent people that means almost zero to me as of now.

The next door 1st owner's dog died from old age, along with a host of other maladies 2 years ago.

The neighbor immediately went to one of the shelters and adopted a look-a-like dog to his deceased one. 

Ohhh, Sashay did not like this at all. She was age 8 at that time. So!, She came here to be around us while I tried each evening to have the owner come and take her back - this went on for about 3 weeks. He didn't care, nor had the sense to understand WHY she left, even to this day 2 years later.

I finally knew she wanted nothing to do with being swiped by the mama cat and aggravated by the daughter cat possibly 4-5 months old.

Sashay came here to stay and never looked back. She never went to the 1st owner even after we had her for 1 year. Very smart!!! 

There ARE cats that really do not want to have other pets near them. Sashay is one of those pets. 

I understand your dilemma, now. YES.! 

Sashay DID come over when we had our 3 cats prior to their deaths, and there was no problem.

She KNEW she could go back home to her ONE home owner at age around 4-6, etc. Just she and her owner.

What I believe is, ```that Ralphie's NEED is complete 1 on 1 loving pampered compliance to his poverty of love and trust from a younger age. He is not trying to be mean, just having some peace and NOT able to SOCIALIZE!!!!!

I thought of a completely "" separate area "" where you can have Ralphie have his own feeding place and water and never HAVE to be made to GIVE  up his control because he feels that you are his only & best trusting contact.

I would even have a special treat called TEMPTATIONS just for him----- away from every other cat until he becomes use to the entire household, especially for the older kitty that is old, blind and doesn't need any drama in her/ his life.  THAT IS HOW I REMEDY/ RESOLVE my problem.

There are definitely cats ( maybe dogs(??) that have to have the ONE owner tending to them, especially going through 3 home, now.

I understand your situation because it's the same as with us. I WILL never know WHY Sashay needs the control but I do understand there is an emotional common denominator dysfunction that I will UNLIKELY know or learn.

___*Never would I even try to bring in another pet with Sashay to be MADE/ taught to like.

It would never work, because her control is being >________ nervous. She's the most intelligent cat I have ever had, ever seen, ever known of. 

I have faith this situation does become much better. Patience is the healing mode.   Smiley Happy

Give Ralphie enough time time withOUT any rushing and let him know you pay special attention to him but away from the others. I believe this will really work.

This is not the typical cat that can be easily introduced into with .........a totally new environment.

I didn't know the circumstances  [ before ] as I do now. I'll check back and we can compare notes of any progress. Ralphie will become more defiant and more into himself and cautious than ever before.

Thank  you for spelling out the question that I had asked .... and just now finding it. 

I am for time and patience than anything else. 

Super Contributor

Re: November is Adopt a Senior Pet Month -- think about it!

@lovedrafthorses wrote:

Don't forget all the senior puppy mill dogs that need homes also

https://www.facebook.com/NationalMillDogRescue/

Meet Lola. She is a tiny and sweet Yorkie who is a little bit shy, but starting to come out of her shell. This little one does well with other dogs and she is hoping to start her new life with you! Read about her at this link: http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Terrier-Yorkshire-39966893

Learn about adoption here: http://milldogrescue.org/our-dogs/adopt/

Image may contain: dog

Great info @lovedrafthorses.

@Sammycat1  thanks for this thread.❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️