Esteemed Contributor

Not always a death sentence for cats

[ Edited ]

My hubby found a cat half frozen in the snow. Since he was at work, he picked her up and brought her into the RR yard office. They warmed her up and fed her and then she wanted "out". Every time he would go to the RR yard office, he would whistle and the cat would come running. After 2 months, he brought her home.

We took her to a Vet that treats strays and he suggested we 'put her down' because she was sick. She had Feline Leukemia, Feline Aids, a uterine infection and only one eye. My hubby said 'no', took the antibiotic for the uterine infection, and said he would just bring her home to be comfortable in her 'last days'.

Well, it will be 6 years this week that she has been here and you would never know she was on death's doorstep. Her coat is full, black and shiny. After a month here, she seemed so much better that I took her to MY VET and got her spayed. My Vet said apparently right now she is a carrier of the Leukemia and Aids, and it hasn't affected her health so far. I do keep her inside at all times and away from other cats.

She is the most well behaved cat.....made buddies with my 2 Malts right away, never has scratched or bit ANYONE. She even let my granddaughter pet her when she was starting to walk. I have collectibles and set up a Christmas village every year. She has never broke anything or knocked down our Christmas tree.

I told the Vet...it is like she is so grateful we resuced her, she agreed......and by the way...we named her "Winky" because of only having one eye...

Here is her picture...you can see the 'heart' on her chest....wi.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Not always a death sentence for cats

That is one beautiful girl...and a very lucky one, too, to have been found and taken in by you and your DH! May Winky have many more healthy years with you--bless you!

Trusted Contributor

That is such a beautiful story.  Thank you to you and your husband for your kindness to animals.  Heart

Respected Contributor

Such a sweetie and such a lovely story.  I suppose it's like some human diseases.  A person or in this case cat, can be a carrier and spread the disease to others but not actually come down with the illness themselves. 

Valued Contributor

Love that little kitty.  Cats are amazing, we had a male with similar health issues and he lived to be 15.

Esteemed Contributor

Your point is excellent!  My husband and have always adopted the oldest or sickest cats at the shelter ... and you and your husband are angels on this earth for saving such a stunningly beautiful kitty.  May you and Winky have many, many wonderful years together!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I support a "no-kill shelter" for cats in my local area.  They have cats that are FL positive; they are kept separate from other negative cats, but they are not euthanized.

In fact, some adopters have come in specifically looking for FL positive cats because they already have one and want company for it without the risk of infecting an otherwise healthy cat.

You've got a beautiful cat and I'd say you're both lucky to have found each other.  Thank you and your husband for rescuing her.  I'm sure she'll repay you with years of love.  Heart

(And I love the photo of her sitting between your two "bunnies"!)

Frequent Contributor

Such a lovely story. God bless your whole family, including the furkids. Heart Cat Happy

Respected Contributor

She is beautiful Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

wi.jpg

I truly believe that Divine Intervention meant for your DH to find this precious kitty,to bond with her and to save her life just as it meant for me to cross paths,rescue and save the lives of my five kitties.

God Bless him for refusing to put her down and God Bless the both of you for giving Winky the loving, forever home that she so deserved to have.

I pray that she fills your lives with her unconditional kitty love for many more years to come. :-)

---------------------------------------------

All of my children have paws =^..^=