Honored Contributor

Re: Not a pet but does anyone have black or grizzly bears around them?

I live outside the City of Philadephia. Two years ago there was a young black bear that wandered into the neighborhood. He mainly hung around the local swim club. When he was uncomfortanle he hung out in the trees at the swim club. The Game Commission came and repositioned him into a more rural area.

My husband belongs with a group of guys that own a cabin in Northern Pennsylvania, almost in New York state. There are bear that go through the trash. The guys think they build a "bear proof" container so the bear can't get to the trash. Only to find the bear has gone through the trash again. 

On occasion you will see a bear wandering around. 

Super Contributor

I have a funny black bear story.  Last summer my son taught Summer School PhysEd for some high shcool kids -- 4 girls and 1 boy.  They went for a hike, then stopped for lunch at a local park.   When they went to toss their lunch bags in the garbage one of the girls refused.  She was sure she heard a sound coming from the dumpster.  But no one else heard the noise.  Still, none of the girls was going to open the lid to that 'scary' dumpster.  

The teenage boy just laughed at them and opened up the dumpster to throw out their trash.  Turns out an adolescent black bear popped his head out when he lifted the lid of the dumpster.  

I think he was trying to impress the girls, but my son claims that his scream of terror was louder than the girls.    Not sure who was more scared, the kids, the bear, or my son. 

That night the parks department removed ALL the dumpsters and garbage cans from the park.  It is taking a while to fund and acquire bear-resistent dumpsters, but in the meantime we are packing garbage out.  

Respected Contributor

Live and let live..far away from me.

I'm not fond of the idea of bears in my yard.

Always have had an uneasy feeling about bears. even as a child.  I finally figured out what it was when I was looking thruough a how to draw book. It started with the anatomy of the animal.  Bears don't have all the facial muscles that a lot of other mammals have.  THEY have the same expression weather they like you or are just about to eat you.  It takes a Lot to get a bear to the point they have an expression on their face.

Magnificent animals but I'll marvel from a distance.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember that bear. I feel sad when they go into cities or neighborhoods,  they are most likely confused as to where their habitat is going. I feel bad we are taking over wild animals' land. Where they go one day worries me. We are going to need to live with animals