Respected Contributor

Re: Not a pet but does anyone have black or grizzly bears around them?

[ Edited ]

@darkhomespun  I live in western Oregon, so no grizzlies, but we do have black bears in the woods all around the house.  We NEVER see them, as we don't leave out anything they would want to eat, but we do see where they've stripped the bark off the standing deadfalls to get the carpenter ant grubs under it.  Our Scotties in years past would bark to alert us if wildlife was coming close to the house, different barks meant different animals.  They were only silent if bears were coming by, nary a woof was uttered, they'd just all come back in the house through the doggie door from the patio, and I'd look at them and say "good girls, don't bark at the bears!"  We also know we have cougars, but thankfully they are more shy than the bears and never come near the house, we only know we have them because they attacked my horse once, decades ago, and others have been sighted in the higher, wilder coast range woods not far from our house.  The only predators I worry about are the coyotes, they are brazen, and I no longer have enough Scotties to be able to defend themselves should they get caught out on the patio by a coyote jumping the fence.  And poor Max, my Manchester, has no teeth and a single coat, no defense at all!  Once upon a time, when I had four Scottie girls and two Scottie boys, I would hear one single alarm bark from outside, and the rest of the dogs would bolt outside, silent as death.  I'd sneak out the front door without lights and see the eye-shine of a coyote just beyond  the fence, and six Scotties lined up in a row, just inside the fence, tails straight up, just waiting.  I could almost hear my dogs' voices saying "C'mon, sucker, jump on in here and try it, we double dog dare ya!"  That coyote would have been dead in five seconds, with 120#+ and six sets of Scottie jaws on it!  Thankfully, none of those coyotes were ever stupid enough to try it.  I look forward to the day when the wolves come back into these forests and cut down on the coyote population, those critters are pests.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I live in the city so no bears! I did see one when I was upstate when I was a young adult. I was walking on a road with my friend late at night, and we were very tipsy and talking loudly, and giggling.  My friend put her hand out and shushed me. It was crossing the road, about 20 feet in front of us.  It looked right at us and I became paralyzed. It kept crossing the road  and it seemed to be slow moving. It went into the woods on the other side of the road and I began running; I figured more might be joining the parade! I guess they are black bears, but I'm not sure. Bears look beautiful but not that night! 

Esteemed Contributor

There have been black bears seen on this mountain where I live, but I've never seen one. 

I did smell a horendous odor last year for a few days, and then a bear was found at the school, that is maybe a mile as the crow flies from my house that same week. I was told that bears stink. 

The game and fish relocated the bear that went to school. 

Honored Contributor

In my city there are areas where there are laws in place for residents to have special trash receptacles. Those have to be bear-proof. The bears come and go freely within those areas and people have to stay clear and keep their pets safe, too. The bears break into homes and sometimes while the people are inside. I wouldn't want to live like that.

Honored Contributor

Here in northern Indiana we roam freely in our woods.  We have no bears or big cats.  I have enjoyed walking and roaming around the 30 acre woods behind our house for many years.  I have often gone for walks alone in the woods.  I have taken my grandchildren on "nature walks" which they called an "adventure" when they were young....
 with no fear of wild animals. Not to run down any states that have them but I'm stayin here. The only time I want to see a bear up close is in a zoo!   

Frequent Contributor

I'm about 2 and 1/2 hours north of QVC in Pennsylvania, quite rural, and black bears are quite common in the area. We've seen many around the house. Most just pass through, looking for a quick snack at a bird feeder. If one becomes a nuisance, we keep the feeders empty for a week or two. They move along. Gorgeous creatures. 

Honored Contributor

I don't live around where bears are, but our son owns a home in the Pocono Mountains.  They are there and it freaks me out. 

I always worry about my grandkids being out at night, even in groups with their cousins that they may come across a bear.

The fact that they can break into houses really freaks me out.  Sounds crazy, but I have no desire to ever go there because of the bears.

Esteemed Contributor

There are black bears around where I live in western NC but there was only one time a sow and her three cubs came close enough to be a concern.  Love watching them--from a distance.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

@darkhomespun We have black bears here in Colorado. Someone posted a video of a bear roaming in the neighborhood today still looking for food. It looked like a brown bear. Getting pretty chilly out, high temp was 30ish today with snow, time to hunker down bears!

Honored Contributor

Yes.  

I am in southern WV, and we have many black bears in this rural area; we have spotted them crossing our property numerous times.

This is the time of year we usually see a mama and her cub heading up the mountain behind us.   

In the late 80's, early 90's, my dad called to tell me to look out my back windows, as a black bear was heading my way.   I watched that bear walk right past my sleeping dog without waking her, walk across my back yard, and go up the bank into the woods.  That bear was at least 300 lbs with a beautiful shiny coat; he was also bearing a blue tag, meaning he had been relocated to this area.   

I called local DNR and reported the sighting, which gave them an idea of where the bear was, compared to where they had released him originally.   

We also have a heavy fox and coyote population here, and feel our outside dogs help keep them from coming close to our house.