Esteemed Contributor

@Noodleann - let us know about Tammy the cat's vet visit tonight

The House of Schmoo is praying for her that it's only an infection. 

Respected Contributor

Re: @Noodleann - let us know about Tammy the cat's vet visit tonight

@Sammycat1 wrote:

The House of Schmoo is praying for her that it's only an infection. 

Thanks very much, @Sammycat1. I was mistaken about the biopsy being today. This visit is to see whether the antibiotic had any effect, and we'll schedule a biopsy if it didn't.

Tammy seems so happy, it's hard to imagine anything is wrong. She's the kind of sturdy tabby who could live to be 20. Sure hope she will.

Glad to see that picture of Miss Francesca in delicate repose, head resting on the hand of your DH. It was wonderful to hear that she was drinking water again. Kisses from my ginger boy.

Respected Contributor

Back from the vet. The thing under Tammy's tongue looks better but the vet said if it was an infection or abscess, the antibiotic should have knocked it out completely. He mentioned the dreaded "stomatitis." Said he'd expect it to look different, but can't rule out a future occurrence. That's a coming attraction I could live without, and I'm sure that goes double for the old girl herself.

I'll be dropping Tammy off tomorrow around 8 AM for the biopsy. Results probably won't be back till next week. This is Tammy's first surgery since she was spayed. They'll do a presurgical panel just to check her #s. Assuming she's good, I expect she'll come through it like a champ. She's eating and drinking very well--she even gained an ounce over the past two weeks--so she goes into this with a reserve. Even if she's off her food for a few days, she should be okay. I'll ask about alternatives like baby food. Any suggestions welcome.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann 

Tammy's a tough old gal, she'll come through this biopsy just fine.

If it's stomatitis, well, you know I've been forced to become encyclopedic in a short time because that's Frankie illness. When you described her symptoms, I thought to myself, "maybe" but didn't want to say anything to upset you.

If it is, the quickest thing you can do is get her on grain-free canned food.  Grains/carbs just jack up the inflammation of stomatitis. But wait and see--and also wait and see what he recommends given her age.

If they see resorptive lesions, can they take care of it before/after the biopsy while they have her under?

If he suspects it, keep her on the pain meds. This is key.

We're saying prayers for Tammy all the way!  Four paws up from her gal pal Frankie!

Respected Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@noodleann 

Tammy's a tough old gal, she'll come through this biopsy just fine.

If it's stomatitis, well, you know I've been forced to become encyclopedic in a short time because that's Frankie illness. When you described her symptoms, I thought to myself, "maybe" but didn't want to say anything to upset you.

If it is, the quickest thing you can do is get her on grain-free canned food.  Grains/carbs just jack up the inflammation of stomatitis. But wait and see--and also wait and see what he recommends given her age.

If they see resorptive lesions, can they take care of it before/after the biopsy while they have her under?

If he suspects it, keep her on the pain meds. This is key.

We're saying prayers for Tammy all the way!  For paws up from her gal pal Frankie!

@Sammycat1 , I will definitely ask your question about resorptive lesions, which I will now look up. Tooth resorption? He will look, I am sure, but  that would be a real shocker. This cat has really good teeth. Her mouth looks like a three-year-old's. But I'll ask him to check. In for a penny, etc., and don't want to miss anything.

The estimate of charges includes 10 days of pain meds in addition to what he'll give her post-surgery. I'll get more when they're running out, probably on a follow-up visit. Everything depends on what he sees in the exam when she's sedated and during the surgery and the biopsy results.

Tammy is already on grain-free dry food, and she's shifting back to eating more dry than wet. But I will start trials of grain-free wet food later this week. I was going to do that before this happened, but have been side-tracked. It would be good for my boy to be on it, too. Regardless, it can only be better for all of them.

I really appreciate your prayers. Frankie has some magnificent white paws, so four paws up is a real power salute. Thanks so much! Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann

Yes, resorptive lesions are about the teeth.  Very painful, as is stomatitis.

Just ask the vet to keep her on the bupe until diagnosis for sure, just in case it is either the resorptive lesions or stomatitis.  That way, you're knocking back the hurting.

You know, ironically, the Frankster had good teeth too. But she had inflamed gums and a highly inflamed throat (the most severe type of stomatitis, called "caudal" stomatitis).

Please keep us posted.   And here's another look at those white booties in honor of MIss Tammy this evening:

Frankie curled toes.jpg

Honored Contributor

@noodleann   I'll be keeping Tammy in my prayers today for her surgery to go well.  I hope she has the best outcome possible.  

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@noodleann 

Me and my kitties are sending out

tons of strong healing prayers and

positive energy to your precious

girl and tons of love filled comfort

hugs to the both of you.

beastie,Samantha,Olivia,Henry and Jack

(((((HeartNOODLEANN & TAMMYHeart)))))

--------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=

Respected Contributor

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and prayers, @Sammycat1 , @beastielove , and @NickNack . Tammy is in the hands of the vet right now. I'll pick her up later this afternoon. The vet tech suggested soft food for a couple of weeks, so I got some Fancy Feast pate. I know she likes that, so it can get her through the first few days. Then I can try her on a premium grain-free wet food as her mouth heals.

Updates when I have them. Fingers crossed that it's not the worst, whatever that is.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@noodleann , 

Praying for Tammy, and you. 

I will be waiting to hear that she is back home with you.