Honored Contributor

No Bake PB/Oatmeal Dog Treats

My Kingston just adores fresh carrots (I use the whole baby carrots) and also PB in his Kong, this 'so easy' recipe by Meredith Laurence, also includes applesauce and wheat bran.

She details the health benefits of each ingredient in the link at the bottom of the recipe.

These are a very special treat to Kingston and very useful in reinforcing his training and commands or just to show them our love!

No-Bake Peanut Butter Oatmeal Puppy Treats

Author: Meredith Laurence

Serves: 24 bites

Ingredients
  • ⅔ cup rolled oats
  • ½ cup natural organic peanut butter
  • ¼ cup wheat bran
  • 6 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 carrots
Instructions
  1. Combine the rolled oats, peanut butter, wheat bran and applesauce in a bowl until well mixed.
  2. Slice the carrots into twenty-four, ½-inch slices.
  3. Scoop a heaping tablespoon of the peanut butter mixture into your hand and roll it into a ball. Push a slice of carrot into the middle of the ball and shape the dough into a patty around the carrot. (If you prefer smaller bites for your pup, cut the carrots in half or slice baby-cut carrots and portion a smaller amount of the dough around the carrot.) Repeat with the remaining ingredients. You should be able to make about 24 bites.
  4. Store the bites in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or keep them in an airtight container in the freezer for a month or two. Feed to you happy pup frozen or at room temperature.
Recipe by Blue Jean Chef - Meredith Laurence at https://www.meredithlaurence.com/recipes/no-bake-puppy-treats/

No-bake puppy treats on a white wood with a black and white dog bowl in background.
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: No Bake PB/Oatmeal Dog Treats

Thank you, @KingstonsMom!  I keep saying I'm gonna bake some cookies, but never seem to get around to it.

Think my Eddy will love these treats!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

And these don't even have to be baked and they're so easy to just mix up!

Kingston feels like a very special boy when he gets one of these treats and they actually have health benefits for him vs. some of the other 'treats' out there.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@eddyandme

And these don't even have to be baked and they're so easy to just mix up!

Kingston feels like a very special boy when he gets one of these treats and they actually have health benefits for him vs. some of the other 'treats' out there.

Think my Eddy will feel very special, too!  My boy loves "people" food (oatmeal, carrots,etc,) so I'm sure he'll devour them.  Been giving him bought 'cause most homemade are so time-consuming and don't belive Beggans and Pupperoni are the best, but he won't eat the healthier ones. 

Thank you so much, @KingstonsMom, you've solved the snack problem.  In fact, will be snowed/iced in Sunday-Monday and think I'll make some healthy treats - between shovelling and salting!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

We're 70 today here in the South, so I really sympathize with our posters who are having to deal with such harsh weather.Heart

Make sure you don't over extend yourself with snow removal!

Please let me know if Eddy loves them as much as Kingston does!

And please stay safe with the weather! 

Esteemed Contributor

Thanx, @KingstonsMom!  Now we're only gonna get 8" of snow, down from 14" - but it's gonna be mixedwith sleet and rain so it'll be like cement!  I'll just do pathway to driveway and by garage door where plow can't reach.

Eddy goes nuts when he can't see me by garage door.  He's on his third winter jacket 'cause he pulls them off and rips them while having a tantrum!  (Yes, my boy isn't perfect but neither am I!) So, can never spend too much time out of sight!Woman LOL

I will do a few of those cookies though (might even try one!).  Making cabbage, carrots, potatoes and kielbasa for dinner Sunday - one of Eddy's faves.  Grocery stores are a nightmare today with everyone stocking up for the storm.  So, will make a double batch next week for me, Eddy, and the mailman's two dogs.  I think they'll be good for my diet too - will let you know!

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme

Sunday dinner sounds YUM! I like all of the ingredients!

Glad your snowfall won't be quite as bad as first expected!

You and Eddy stay safe and warm!

Honored Contributor

They sound pretty good.  Just watch the salt content in the PB. Too much salt is not too good for dogs.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie

She explains this in the link to the recipe:

"Peanut butter is a great source of protein and healthy fat. It also has vitamins B and E as well as niacin, but it is very important to buy the right peanut butter for your dogs. Buy a brand that is all-natural and has no other ingredients other than peanuts – no sugar or sugar substitute, and ideally no sodium."

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom  My dogs have some peanut better every day.  They take meds and the PB is used to get them to take the pills.

I have a difficult time finding good PB for my dogs, so I have been making my own.  Just roasted peanuts whipped in the vitamix and stored in the fridge.

One of my dogs has a heart problem and I need to watch her salt intake.

I am going to try the recipe, I think they will like those dogs cookies.  Sounds good to me too.

Thanks so much.