Honored Contributor

I went into Google to see the products with XYLITOL in them. I don't have any. Sugar free gum was a culprit that killed a dog when he got ahold of it. Those reports scare me since I have a little one. I Googled : products and foods containing Xylitol. You may want to read on this and check to see if any products are in your home. They only mentioned it will kill dogs. So I'd check even if I have cats too. Just a heads up!

Valued Contributor

Thank you very much for sharing this valuable information.  While I do not use any products containing Xylitol, I'm glad to be made aware of it.                                  docsgirl

Respected Contributor

Xylitol is supposedly great for your teeth!  

Honored Contributor

@Justice4all

That's true!

My DH has very cavity prone teeth and his dentist told him to chew gum with xylitol in it, specifically Ice Breakers Ice Cubes gum.

The raspberry is delicious!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Justice4all wrote:

Xylitol is supposedly great for your teeth!  

You certainly have a point.  Since I have a "dry mouth," which is considered harmful because it seems to promote tooth decay, my periodontist recommended I chew some gum.  The only gum recommended was sugar-free, sweetened with Xylitol.  

Respected Contributor

@PamfromCT

@KingstonsMom

I recommend Xylichew naturally better gum, spearment, sold on Amazon.  It's all natural and doesn't easily lose its flavor.  Best buy for me is the 4 pack.

Honored Contributor

They said this sweetener is used in peanut butter.  We use peanut butter and my dog loves it too and yeah he gets a little on occasion.  I checked the labels for both jars I have and it's free of this artificial stuff - good thing. I read labels all the time when I shop so I'll now be on the lookout for this stuff.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD

Xylitol is found in plants, naturally.  But is no good for dogs or birds.  It's not a synthetic, as far as I know, though one might want to check the processing for different products.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

They only mentioned it will kill dogs. Just a heads up!

THANK YOU for the warning!!!!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Trusted Contributor

Re: News report: on Xylitol

[ Edited ]

We found Spry Xylitol Mints in several flavors years ago at our favorite health food store.  This brand is also available as chewing gum.  Xylitol is a derivative of birch bark and attacks mouth bacteria.  It is available now in many products, but we love the Spry brand.

ETA:  Regarding the dog who loves peanut butter... our pets only learn to love the "human" foods that we give them.  My darling cat loved mesclun, a salad mix of assorted small, young salad green leaves, that originated in Provence, France, and everytime I rattled the bag when opening it, she came running and meowing for a bit of it, too.

Image result for mesclun  I wonder how she knew that she loved mesclun??? LOL!