Regular Contributor

Today on msnbc.com there is an article about pet food ingredients, titled "After FDA warning about Pet Food, What you can safely feed Fido and Fluffy."  You can find it on the right side of the home page under "Latest News."  The article concerns the ingredients of pet food and how to read labels on pet food products in order to make the best nutrition choices for your pet.  The article cites two places on the internet recommended by two unversity researchers that the researchers say are reliable sources for information about proper nutrition for pets and how to read pet food labels.  The article may be of interest to pet owners.

Honored Contributor

Re: News Article about Pet Food

[ Edited ]

I read the article on MSNBC but didn't go to the websites posted.  It sounds like they're pushing Science Diet and Royal Canin when they talk about by-products not being bad and choosing the larger pet food companies that have been around a while.  One reason they give is that they have nutritionists on their staff.  The other highly rated pet food companies like Wellness also have veterinary nutritionists on their staff.

I think I'll stick with chicken as the first ingredient rather than chicken by-products.  I'm sure there are strong opinions on both sides of this.  My dog is eating Wellness Healthy Weight right now, and I've also fed her Fromm.  I feel good about both of those brands of food.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to throw in my two cents....

My Jack Russell mix had a bout of pancreatitis caused by Hill's prescription venison---I was shocked! After that, my vet and his canine nutritionist recommended my dog only eat Royal Canin dog kibble along with freshly boiled chicken breasts--she was fine after that--but died last year of cancer.

However, the Royal Canin agreed with her and her sensitive tummy.

Now we have a rescue Chihuahua--he was saved by a rescue group as he was malnourished, dehydrated and had a terrible case of mange--it's a sin what animal abusers get away with----anyway.........

The day he came home with us I started him on Royal Canin small dog puppy food and he thrived!! It is now eight months later---Remy is now 15 months old---he looks and feels terrific!! He is eating Royal Canin small dog adult kibble--along with Spot Farms human grade duck & pumpkin treats--NO people food--he loves what we feed him and is doing great. He has tons of energy--he always wants to play and is very social--has a good appetite--his fur came back shiny and thick.

Can't argue with success.

Respected Contributor

After the FDA article I decided no more kibble.  One of our small dogs has been coughing and sneezing, dry heaving, for over a month most of the day and especially at night  after his p.m. meal - vet gave us antibiotics which finished 2 weeks ago - result, no change, still sneezing, etc.

After reading FDA article stopped all kibble and for the last 4 days and nights no sneezing, etc. he is totally fine.  We are totally amazed and very pleased as we were planning another vet visit.

I only ever fed a very small handful of kibble ever plus cooked chicken with some veg.  none of my dogs on kibble only diet.  Makes me wonder now what is really in the kibble - it was supposedly ‘a very nutritious, healthy,thy diet’ !

All these dog food companies are all pushing their own products I think I will stick with my own cooked chicken, etc. meals no more kibble.

Respected Contributor

The Royal Canin sounds like a good brand for dogs.  Does anyone know which are the better brands for cats?

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@dulwich wrote:

After the FDA article I decided no more kibble.  One of our small dogs has been coughing and sneezing, dry heaving, for over a month most of the day and especially at night  after his p.m. meal - vet gave us antibiotics which finished 2 weeks ago - result, no change, still sneezing, etc.

After reading FDA article stopped all kibble and for the last 4 days and nights no sneezing, etc. he is totally fine.  We are totally amazed and very pleased as we were planning another vet visit.

I only ever fed a very small handful of kibble ever plus cooked chicken with some veg.  none of my dogs on kibble only diet.  Makes me wonder now what is really in the kibble - it was supposedly ‘a very nutritious, healthy,thy diet’ !

All these dog food companies are all pushing their own products I think I will stick with my own cooked chicken, etc. meals no more kibble.

@dulwich   What brand of kibble were you feeding?
Honored Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

The Royal Canin sounds like a good brand for dogs.  Does anyone know which are the better brands for cats?

@2blonde We have a 16 year old male cat we rescued when he was a kitten and always fed him dry cat food that had chicken as the first ingredient. Right now Moe is eating Blue Buffalo and he loves it. Of course, Moe has no digestive problems and although he is of advanced age he still goes out in the woods on our property and hunts prey and eats it. It must agree with him because he's a good weight and can still jump 3ft. straight up to a table.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dr. jean dodds added her advice on this ,long it is she is a very respected  person ,go to her site,she just released it today.Also,world small animal veterinary association,and pet foodology blog.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

I find it real easy and fast for some of my small dogs meals to cook thawed couple of chicken breasts or thighs in a 2 cup rice cooker from Dash on HSN . Then when cooled use a string pull chopper.  Probably cheaper than some of the better quality canned food and they love it. It would be too expensive for large dogs , but mine are under 20 lbs. and I feed them Blue Buffalo kibbled kind and Ceasars also.

My cats are not fond of the Blue Buffalo kibble but I mix in Purina Indoor and Friskies canned. The pickey cats will not eat much 'people' food .Sometimes canned tuna , egg , and sometimes salmon. Frankly I think I spend more on them as I have to put a lot down the garbage disposal as I am never sure of their whims ! they are cats Smiley Happy 

Respected Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

@2blonde wrote:

@2blonde We have a 16 year old male cat we rescued when he was a kitten and always fed him dry cat food that had chicken as the first ingredient. Right now Moe is eating Blue Buffalo and he loves it. Of course, Moe has no digestive problems and although he is of advanced age he still goes out in the woods on our property and hunts prey and eats it. It must agree with him because he's a good weight and can still jump 3ft. straight up to a table.

@blackhole99   Wow!  That's remarkable.  Moe must be a really tough guy.  Maybe he will be one of those unusual cats that live to be 25 years old!  I've used Blue Buffalo in the past.  My sister used to run a pet supply store, and she had recommended it.  My current fella, Al, is 4 years old now and has always been tough and full of the devil.  I hope he lives as long as Moe.  He's not picky about his food.  I've been feeding him Iams Hairball Control (he has long fur and is fastidious about himself, so you get the picture).

Laura loves cats!