Respected Contributor

New puppy pomeranian itching problems....

I got a tiny pomeranian 8 months old from a lady that had to sell her due to her husband dying suddenly and her having to sell and move.  The dog scratches and digs at herself.  She was at the vet yesterday and he gave her revolution that would kill some type of mange or scabies if that was her problem.  That did not help.  She does not have fleas.  Her hair is sparse and the owner said she was going through the puppy uglies.   I pick up clumps of hair everywhere she scratches.  I bathed her a couple times in a fungus shampoo but still scratches.  The vet said she was a little young to have developed allergies and I asked if it could be psychological and he said probably not.   Poor dog left her dog parents which the owner also had and her human owner so I don't know.  She will be lying down sleeping and jump up and scratch like someone just poked her with a needle.   Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

Trusted Contributor

Re: New puppy pomeranian itching problems....

This may be of no help, but years ago, in the 80's, we had a Samoyed with the same issue as your Pom. You might want to have vet check her thyroid function as a thyroid problem can result in scratching issue you describe. Our Samoyed would scratch until skin bled. He also lost most of his hair. It's a genetic condition but can be treated. Bless you for giving this puppy a loving home. We're seniors who adopted a 4-month old Cavapoo pup, and he's giving us a run for our money!  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

A warm bath with baking soda and water could calm the itching and inflammation.

Honored Contributor

Have the vet check the pup out.  May be dry skin, or allergies.  Get it checked out.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

Have the vet check the pup out.  May be dry skin, or allergies.  Get it checked out.

In the OP it was mentioned the puppy had seen a vet. I am concerned that the vet was not able to help the situation. I would try a different vet this week Monday-Friday and inquire about the thyroid.

Respected Contributor

Could very well be her food. Food allergies can cause horrible itching as well. Corn or wheat are common culprits.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I disagree with the vet about food allergies. At 8 months she is old enough to have developed them. My dog will obsessively lick his paws if I give him something to eat that he's allergic to. 

Are you sure she doesn't have fleas? They are sometimes very hard to spot. But the jumping up and chewing/scratching like someone poked her really sounds like she is being bitten and reacting. That's exactly how my dog reacts to flea bites and she may just have bites that itch even if she no longer has fleas.

I'd visit another vet and in the meantime I'd give her a soothing bath.

Just incase she does have fleas  bathing her could help. Any shampoo will kill fleas as long as you keep it on long enough to suffocate them (https://pethelpful.com/dogs/How-to-rid-your-dog-of-fleas-FAST). Then I'b give her a soak in oatmeal water.

grinding a cup (240 mL) of raw, plain oatmeal into a fine powder. Fill the tub with warm water, mix in the oatmeal powder, and soak your pup for 15 minutes. If your dog doesn't tolerate baths, you could also try spot-treating itchy patches with an oatmeal paste." I copied and pasted the oatmeal instructions. You'd probably only need a smaller amount of oatmeal powder in your sink for your little one.

Also, she's been through a lot recently and I do think the stress of all that could definetly affect her so give her some extra love, which I'm sure you are.

Hope she gets better!!!

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" -Immanuel Kant

"Once you have had a wonderful Dog, a life without one, is a life diminished"-Dean Koontz
Frequent Contributor

I had a Frenchie who had severe allegies by 12 weeks.  I eventually had to go to a Dermalogical Vet who helped for awhile.  Her issues were so bad she passed in January.    One thing you can do is wipe your dog down with hypoallergenic baby wipes.  I have 2 new Frenchie puppies and one of them is experiencing allergy/skin issues (much less severe than my previous puppy) and the Vet recommended this and it has been helping.  Both of my allergic puppies also received a Cytopoint shot that from the Vet.  It's working much better for my new, less allergic puppy than it did for my first one, however they can only issue the shot every 4 weeks.  You could also shampoo her with DouxoS3 calm shampoo or use the DouxoS3 calm mousse (you can get both products from Amazon).  For my new puppy, I wipe her down then apply the mousse.   My previous puppy I had to shampoo twice a week and put the mousse on daily.

If it's food related, you will need to do a food trial.  I had to do this with my first puppy and I recommend you ask your Vet for help.  They will suggest what food to feed her for the trial period.  You cannot give them any other food, treats, etc... during the trial.

Esteemed Contributor

Sounds like allergies to me.  Benedryl would probably help, but I wouldn't know how much to give such a tiny dog.  Like others have stated, I'd see a different vet.  

Valued Contributor

I have heard coconut oil on the food can help but I don't know how much, I think it depends on how much the dog weighs.  You could google dogs and coconut oil.