Frequent Contributor

My husband and I will have a new puppy in 6-8 weeks. Our last dog, a poodle, passed away two years ago at the age of 17. So, it's been a long time since we've trained a puppy. Do you recommend a crate? Any suggestions for the first few days at home? Thanks.

Honored Contributor

I plan on getting a Chihuahua next year.  I have this crate in my Wish List on Amazon.....

MidWest iCrate Starter Kit | The Perfect Kit for Your New Dog Includes a Dog Crate, Dog Crate Cover, 2 Dog Bowls & Pet Bed   $59.99

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at Thu, Jul 23, 2020-3.44.15 PM.png

I'm waiting for the Amazon sales every year between Turkey Day & X-mas.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Are you getting another poodle? I had one many years ago, best little guy ever. 

⚓️
Trusted Contributor

Best Dog Crates for Large Dogs (Top 5 Review) | HerePup!

It depends how big your dog will get on the size crate you need, you may need it more than a few days, if it is  a big dog you will need a bigger crate.  It's their "safe place" when they get older. 

Trusted Contributor

I would also bring a towel or a puppy blanket along to rub on the mother dog and get her scent on it for your puppy to have  when you bring them home.  Congrats to you and your family.

Honored Contributor

I definitely recommend a crate.  Both as a puppy and an adult.  Once they get used to them, they love them.  My current dog will even open the door herself to go in when she wants.

Respected Contributor

Re: New puppy crate

[ Edited ]

Absolutely crate train.  The best thing you will ever do.  I've crate trained all of my dogs.  I prefer the kennels that are made of the heavy plastic instead of the wire ones.  To me the wire ones look like cages.  The heavy plastic ones have solid sides and are more of a nesting area which dogs love to do.  THat's just my opinion.  Either will work.  All my dogs love(d) their crates.  Make it a special place with treats and soft blankets.

Hang a bell from each door that you are going out of to DO BUSINESS and hit it and say let's do business (or however you want to phrase it) whenever you take the puppy out to go potty.   Eventually they will learn that to signal you they need to hit the bell when they need to go out.  It takes a while but eventually they get it. THen you can take it down when they get older and use another method if you prefer. 

BE CONSISTENT with your commands and what you want the puppy to do.  Do not be afraid to crate, especially in the beginning,  to give you a break!  OUr vet used to remind me that puppies sleep a lot anyway and they are infants.  Crating is part of training and good for everyone!

Read up on training techniques to remind yourself of what to do.  When it's been a long time you forget!   BE PATIENT, and remember every dog is different.   Go to TRAINING CLASSES as early as possible (ask your vet). 

ENJOY your new baby, but be PATIENT.  When it's been awhile, you sometimes forget how much work it is, but well worth it in the end.  CONGRATS.  HUGS TO YOU.

Trusted Contributor

@Mz iMac 

That's really a nice crate and setup. I like that it comes with the cover too.

⚓️
Regular Contributor

I must have the only dog on earth that hates her crate.  Her brother loved it and she hated it from the day we brought them home.  She peed in it until she was about 2 1/2 and then pretty much stopped.  Now we have a rescue chihuahua/rat terrier mix who loves it and her sister will only go in there on occasion now.  

Honored Contributor

@deb5555 I think it's great advice to get a bigger crate than a tiny pup needs.  I did that when I got my Westie and he remained a crate dog his entire life. 

Once he becme housebroken, he didn't mess his home.  When he knew I was leaving, he wasn't always happy to go in, but I knew in a few minutes he'd be fine.  Lots of nights after dinner time as I sat and did prep for school, he'd crawl into the back of his crate and stare at me for a while and then he'd sleep right there with his door wide open.

If I ever have another pup, it will also be a crate dog.