Honored Contributor

According to a sign at the vet.....there is a new law that dispensing heartworm with out a blood test first is against the law.....

In years past as long as we kept our dog on heart worm meds year round we did not need to have a blood test in order to get a new supply of heart worm, now we have to pay for an office vist, mini exam and blood work.  Is this something that your vet does?

I tried to look on line for the new guidelines but I could not find anything.  Does anyone know about this, thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: New policy at the vet...

I wonder why and what are they looking for?

Did they say?

That is kind of upsettingSmiley Sad unless its for the dogs protection for some reason.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

According to a sign at the vet.....there is a new law that dispensing heartworm with out a blood test first is against the law.....

In years past as long as we kept our dog on heart worm meds year round we did not need to have a blood test in order to get a new supply of heart worm, now we have to pay for an office vist, mini exam and blood work.  Is this something that your vet does?

I tried to look on line for the new guidelines but I could not find anything.  Does anyone know about this, thanks.

It's not a law here but I think the manufacturer requires it.   Your dog should be heartworm free before starting the pills.   Then checked every year.   Otherwise, the manufacturer will not be responsible if your dog gets heartworms.

Honored Contributor

My Vet knows that I never miss a dose but requires that my dog get tested every other year.  I've had to do this for years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  That was the law in Texas years ago when I lived there and it's the law here in NM.  I always felt it was a push by vets to get office visits.  If a dog has been on preventative, how could it have heartworm? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Yes, it is dangerous to give the medication if your dog had heartworm.

But if he's on it all year round, he won't have it.  So your vet SHOULD be able to decide NOT to do the test every year, but only before he prescribes it for the first time.

I don't give it all year round because where I live, we don't get mosquitoes all year round.  I would give it if I lived where it could be warmer all year round.  So IF my vet required the test, I would be okay with it.

But, as with human doctors, vets should be able to use their judgement when providing it. 

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mom2Dogs  That was the law in Texas years ago when I lived there and it's the law here in NM.  I always felt it was a push by vets to get office visits.  If a dog has been on preventative, how could it have heartworm? 

I agree.  Someone lobbied some lawmakers into writing this law.  More interference in doctor/patient relationship.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

I get my dog's heartworm meds from 1-800-Pet Meds and buy 1 year at a time.  My vet writes the script for so many refills.  Earlier this year I was contacted by Pet Meds that a heartworm test and new script was required for a refill. 

Regular Contributor

I live in California and have never been able to get the Meds without the blood test first on a yearly basis.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624..exactly what I thought and I told them I felt it was a money grab...they did not take kindly to my attitude.