Honored Contributor

Re: New kitty in household

[ Edited ]

You do not want to just let the new cat out with the other cats. That is not the ideal way to introduce them.  I'd give them more time to get used to presence of the other cats before letting her out to wander around. That really isn't the best way to do cat introductions and you don't want to set up a bad precidence between the resident cats and the new one. It's not going to hurt her to stay in a room for awhile to acclimate. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Super Contributor

Thanks, Jaxs Mom!  I have typically let her roam when my other two are not around, except for the time when my male was sitting on the chair.  The new female has beem allowed to explore the upstairs, and I even put her in a different room for a while, leaving the  "safe room" open for my two to explore.  We're getting there....just taking our time!

Honored Contributor

Yeah .... the new baby has to have time to explore her new home without any other animals around.    She'll smell the others and know they live there.   When the others are let in again, they will know they have a new addition.   Hey, it's a gradual process, lol.

Super Contributor

Update:  All three kitties are co-existing!  (Yay!)  New kitty wants to befriend my male, but he's still a little wary.  My female & kitty were nose-to-nose, but, kitty hissed at my girl, so that remains a little iffy!  I think that by next week already, they will all be tolerant of each other!  It's actually gone quite well in the short time she has been here!

I will let everyone know when they are all buddies and start cuddling with each other! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Oh that's great news, Gidge.  Continued good luck and "bonding"!  

Super Contributor

Thanks, Citrine2!  We're keeping our fingers crossed!