Respected Contributor

We are getting a new puppy at the end of next week.  We have a 9 y o dog and an 18 year old cat!  Both of them love other animals but I am anticipating some jealously and excitement.  Anyone have any helpful tips?  Thanks so much!

Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2, it might be helpful to know what kind of dog you have and what the new addition will be.

Good luck with the integration.  LM

Valued Contributor

I had gone through this.  I set up a "base camp" for the new pet.  I did not let the animals see each other for 3 days.  I rubbed rags over each other and left them around so they could egt used to each others' smells.  I had no issues and they all love each other now.  Good Luck.. Ther ei lots of info on internet about how toapproach this.  Cats are tricky...

Trusted Contributor

As far as the excitiement I'd see if you have a puppy play group around. Some training places hold them. That way the pup can get some of that energy out in case it's too much for the more refined members of the house. Your dog is still pretty young at 9 but at that point they can get a little tired of a youngster.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

My only advice is to make sure they know you are alpha. In nature, the pack leader always corrects and keeps the brood in line and checked. Stop bad habits, aggressive behavior from day one. You need to set the tone that they are to behave a certain way. Always be the Pack leader.

Good luck with your newest pup, lots of kissing & cuddling in your future! 

⚓️
Esteemed Contributor

We have successfully introduced a puppy to a much older dog several times (they were the same breed).  Watch them very carefully at first and maybe even keep the puppy in a crate in same space as other dog for several days.  Always give a lot of love to older dog, so he/she doesn't think he/she is being displaced.  It's always worked out very well for us (we have doxies).

Respected Contributor

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.  We have a Basset hound and are getting another one.  I purchased the book Puppies for Dummies - yikes!  Again, thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Find a local trainer who uses positive reinforcement.  If they use term like Alpha or pack leader RUN, they have not kept up with current research. Might also want to find a day care facility to help burn off some of the puppy energy.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Puppy Suggestions

[ Edited ]

Like @patbz, I have successfully introduced a puppy to an older dog several times too and have NEVER had a problem.  I never took any special precautions or did anything out of the ordinary; it just always worked out.  

Good luck to you.  I hope things work out for you well.

edited for spelling error