Honored Contributor

New Info to Compare Dog Age w/ Human Age

[ Edited ]

The old math formula of multiplying your dog’s age by 7 to get its human age is no longer considered accurate scientifically. Dogs mature quickly from birth, but when they reach a certain age, their aging process becomes more gradual. 

Here is the new age conversion chart based on genetic research. 

ETA: This chart is for Labradors, but since it’s also accurate for genetic research on the aging of mice & humans, scientists believe the aging progression in this chart will be similar for other dog breeds & even other species! 

6934C41B-02FC-4D57-BB63-A03453733A02.jpeg 

Here’s a screenshot of the page if you want to go to the website and read more details. 

BEC98B84-5F67-4D09-8D75-22DE5C4BC842.png

Honored Contributor

Re: New Info to Compare Dog Age w/ Human Age

@wilma -

I wish it was still the old way cause this makes me sad.

It shows a dog at 8 years would be like a human at around 30 something.

So if they die then, that is younger than we originally thought.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay wrote:

@wilma -

I wish it was still the old way cause this makes me sad.

It shows a dog at 8 years would be like a human at around 30 something.

So if they die then, that is younger than we originally thought.

@on the bay 

I didn’t even think about that.

I think 8 would be about 60 years on this chart. It’s never easy to lose a pet. 

Honored Contributor

Well, no, because they did not take the size of the dog into consideration whatsoever. What they did isn't new for any size dog.

It's already known that small dogs live longer than larger breeds and that puppies mature faster (on the human/dog equivalent scale). I'm not sure what is new about this study.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@wilma -

Oh, I see I read it wrong!

We go up to the red line.

So yes around 60-

and I guess I always wish they could live forever with usSmiley Happy

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

Well, no, because they did not take the size of the dog into consideration whatsoever. What they did isn't new for any size dog.

It's already known that small dogs live longer than larger breeds and that puppies mature faster (on the human/dog equivalent scale). I'm not sure what is new about this study.

@GingerPeach 

I understand your comments.

All I am doing is reporting the new research which I found  fascinating. Maybe I didn’t explain it well in my original post. I did go back & edit that post. 

The new info is: The chart I posted is for Labradors, but it’s also accurate for genetic research on the aging of mice & humans. Scientists believe the aging progression in this chart will be similar for other dog breeds & even other species! Yes, more research is needed. The next step is to obtain genetic info on other dog breeds & more species. 

Honored Contributor

It makes me very sad to think that my almost four year old dog is 50 in human years.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

I had to put my 16 year old Jack Russell down Monday.

My younger one is 7. We are both so sad about the other being gone! I hate to think of 7 is old but am feeding her his bright mind dog food now!

Honored Contributor

I don't think any of my dogs past or present could be considered mature at one year.  They were adults, but still acted like puppies.

Definitely not approaching senior at 4 years.  

All my small dogs lived beyond 16 years and didn't begin behaving as seniors until they were around 12-13 years old.  That's about the life expectancy of larger dogs; however my large dogs lived to 15 plus.  

Although, full grown, my large dogs acted like puppies until they were 3.  They also didn't show signs of aging until around 12.

Vets and insurance companies do seem to use 9 years for seniors...possibly when they begin to see medical issues; however, that never applied to any of my dogs.  12 was the magic number.  

Except for one, all my dogs were the same breed, two different sizes.  

I think it depends on breed and heredity as to how long a dog will live.  As with humans, it's not one size fits all. 

Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

I had to put my 16 year old Jack Russell down Monday.

My younger one is 7. We are both so sad about the other being gone! I hate to think of 7 is old but am feeding her his bright mind dog food now!

@1Snickers 

I’m so sorry about your Jack Russell. We had to put Wilma down in 2016. That’s her picture in my avatar, and my username is named after her. It’s never easy to lose a pet.