Honored Contributor

New Animal Planet Series: My Big Fat Pet Makeover

The U.S. pet overweight and obesity rate for dogs and cats is more than 50%. Watch as pet expert and trainer Travis Brorsen begins a four-month long weight-loss and behavior modification journey with pet owners and their overweight animals with the aim of helping each pet live a healthier and happier life. Each story ends with Brorsen returning for a final weigh-in to see just how far the pets and pet owners have come.

Obese animals can experience health problems such as high blood pressure, diabetes and heart failure, thus leading to a shorter life. In "My Big Fat Pet Makeover," Brorsen creates individual exercise and diet plans in addition to implementing positive reinforcement training methods. He also uses creative techniques such as wake-up calls for owners, using visual experiments that let them experience what their pets are going through.

Can Brorsen help families realize how dire the situations are with their overweight pets? Will the animal owners learn how to properly feed and exercise their pets? While every animal’s challenge is unique and their results may be different, Brorsen’s goal is to help everyone keep up with their new-found routines.

Will you be watching?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: New Animal Planet Series: My Big Fat Pet Makeover

Really hope people watch.  So many pet are over weight and their owners are in denial.  Even many vets are not helpful.  Not wanting to alienate owners they often side step the issue.  My mom has one dog that is extremely overweight.  She finally asked the vet, who just told her "wouldn't want him to gain anymore".  She continues to think he is fine, and yes he is still gaining weight.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I do think overfeeding pets is a big problem.  I just hope this isn't like The Biggest Loser.  They exercise the people to death and give them very little to eat.  They lose weight very quickly, which isn't the healthiest way.  I hope they don't do that with the pets.  I probably won't watch for this reason. 

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@lolakimono  Thanks for this info - could not find it on my dish tv though it told me will record when available so hope I get it.

We have small dog who cannot use his back legs so exercise very hard and he is overweight even though I do measure his food so any program of this type would help.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I do think overfeeding pets is a big problem.  I just hope this isn't like The Biggest Loser.  They exercise the people to death and give them very little to eat.  They lose weight very quickly, which isn't the healthiest way.  I hope they don't do that with the pets.  I probably won't watch for this reason. 

A dogs metabolism is much faster that a persons, so a 4 month program should show significant results without the extreme conditions on the Biggest Loser show.  They probably will work with the extreme cases so they can showcase the results they get.  Just hope that people whos pets are not that bad will learn something.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono  I remember Obie but don't remember the exact circumstances.  Letting a dog get that fat is animal cruelty IMO.  I'm glad he was able to get the excess skin removed.  I'm sure he feels amazingly better without all that weight.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau