Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions regarding cutting my dog's nails

Have someone hold her while you cut. Also just do a little bit at a time, if the nails are dark and it's hard to see how far is safe. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Our local Krisers also has a groomer that takes walk ins for nail cutting.

I can go in at any point with my kitty Bogey, and they clip his nails, I pay $10 and we're out the door.

I think it's best to let someone else be the bad guy.

Respected Contributor

Cutting dogs' nails sure is a problem.  The last time I did it, I DID cut into the quick and it bled a little.  But she didn't react any differently, so maybe the pain wasn't much.  However, I decided that day NEVER to cut her nails again - I was so upset.  She's a Golden Retriever who needs bathing/grooming every few months and I'll just let the groomer do it.  And in between visits, I'll take her to the groomer just for the nail cutting.  My groomer charges $10.  WELL worth it!  I'll let them do it at the vet's, too, but lately we've only had to take her once a year to the vet - much too long to let nails go.

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

Hi @Constance2

I no longer have good hand dexterity so I take my dog (multiple dogs in the past) to the vet to have their nails trimmed.  Even the light colored dogs I've had all had mostly black nails, so I was never all that confident.

But your dog is so frightened, I understand this is not a casual visit.  

If you haven't already done this, it can help to gradually acclimate the dog to the vet's office by perhaps driving there, walking around the parking lot, then leaving.   Then later going in, just sitting, and then leaving without anyone doing anything to the dog.  If the dog likes treats, offering small, but delicious treats when she shows signs of even slight relaxation should help as well.  

The same technique can help by slowing getting her used to having her paws touched.  You lift the paw a little, she gets a treat, you rub her paw a bit, she gets a treat, you bring a clipper close to her foot, she gets a treat.

You are probably already working with her using some of these conditioning techniques.

I am going to try something I just thought of.  My dog's front nails are long right now.  I'm going to place a large metal nail rasp on the floor, and simply rub her nails on it.  I'll let you know if it helps.  

I also just got the In the Company of Dogs catalog and they offer a "nail trimming mat."    I haven't tried it so I don't know whether it works well.  

http://www.inthecompanyofdogs.com/itemdy00.aspx?T1=D14275+55

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I won't even attempt to do my dog's nails.  If we're at the vet and he's due, I'll have her do them.  Otherwise it's a quick and inexpensive trip to the groomer.  Money well spent.

Super Contributor

Thanks, everyone.  I appreciate the suggestions, and am going to try the recommendations that might work with my baby girl.  She has both dark and light nails, but it's still hard to see the quick through the light ones.  She loves treats, so I will definitely try that.  I've done some research online and read that if you cut or sand the nail little by little, the quick will gradually move back.  It may take forever with my dog, but I've got to do something.

Do any of you have a dog that is terrified of going to the vet?  All of your dogs seem to be people and vet friendly for the most part.   

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Super Contributor

DSCN0616.JPG

My spoiled little girl dog who is also my traveling companion.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

@Constance2. if you are in the Northern Va area let me know. We have an amazing groomer who will detraumatize your dog if it can be done. I have seen her take an abused dog and over a couple of months build its confidence so that you wouldnt even know it was the same dog. She speaks dog pyschology i think.

Super Contributor

Wish I was closer, but I'm a few states away.  Thank you for taking time to offer a suggestion, anyway.  I'm encouraged to contact groomers in my area and see if they may be willing to take on the challenge if some of the other things don't work.  My husband just told me he has a dremel-like instrument that may work.   We'll try that first.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Constance2

I know you're doing this anyway, but just a quick reminder to take it slow, even one nail a day if your dog is afraid (and plenty of treats).

And be sure to not let any hairs get caught in the tool.  That could be a setback you don't want.

Best wishes!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.