Super Contributor

Need suggestions regarding cutting my dog's nails

Myl dog's nails are way too long, so much so that they click on the tile when she walks.  She absolutely hates to have me touch her paws, and I am only able to cut one nail at a time, if that.  I've tried the nail grinder, but she hates it.  The other device that was supposed to signal when you were close to the quick while cutting was not reliable.  When she sees me with the nail cutters, she jumps off my lap.   I've never cut the quick and am fearful of ever doing that, so that's part of the reason why her nails are so long.  

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to make it easier? A vet tech at the clinic where I've taken her for shots, said they have often accidentally cut the quick on other dogs, and the tech didn't seem bothered by that.  Well, it bothers me. I don't want to hurt my little girl dog.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions regarding cutting my dog's nails

So take her to the vet and have them cut them. I take my cat to my vet every month for a "cati-mani" and I'm in and out in 10 minutes. Cost me $10. So worth it!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's supposed to be so easy, but I can't do it either.  It's so easy for the groomer to do it, so I take her to him for nail trims.  He actually cuts them for free, but I don't think it's usually too expensive to have someone do it for you.  My Vet charges $10.  I think my dog senses that I'm unsure about what I'm doing, so she's unsure about letting me try!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Oh this is my nightmare too.  I used to go snip snip and was done but over the years my nerve has declined.  I have to make a choice to either take the dreaded car ride to the Vet or do it myself.  I bought an electric nail 'sander' and that works well; l but doggy decides to pull away & wiggle just as I clear the fur away - then I have to start all over again.  I snip/sand off enough to reduce the floor clicking which helps her in walking and annoying me.  You just have to be firm and show who is the boss I guess.  Good Luck - my dog needs it too (right now).

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer to use a dremel rather than the ones sold in pet stores.  They work much better and much faster, which is a good thing. 

If you are hesitant then definately take him somewhere to have them done.  Vets, groomers, pet stores often have special days where you can get discounted prices. 

While I would never cut the quick on purpose, it does happen.  While it may hurt at the time, it is soon forgotten. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I know this isn't much help now, but we have a basset hound and they are noted for their long tough nails.  I started snipping them when she was a pup so she would be used to it.  Thankfully, she is a lemon colored basset and her nails are light so I can see the quick and avoid cutting it.  I think I would take the dog to the vet and let the pros do it.  I know you would feel awful if you accidently clipped her.  Sorry I don't have any help to offer - good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

I buy the tiny dog treats for when we do their nails.  I give them one for each nail that I get trimmed.  We always have German Shepherds and some of them don't mind it and some of them do. The vet/tech will trim them for free on their visits but it seems like their nails grow every month. I think the tech charge for our vet is $15 but I don't want them dreading the vet more than they do now. This system of treats for the nail cutting has worked for us.  It's still not easy with all of them but it gets the job done.   

Super Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

So take her to the vet and have them cut them. I take my cat to my vet every month for a "cati-mani" and I'm in and out in 10 minutes. Cost me $10. So worth it!!

if it were only that simple.  You see, my dog is absolutely terrified of the vet and most other people. She was a dog that was rescued from an abusive situation.  I have to get 3-yr. rabies shots to minimize her anxiet for she poohs and pees all over the examining table.   She would have to be sedated and that is costly.  I'm also afraid that she might bite someone if she felt threatened.  She's never done that, but has come close to nipping someone who got in her face.  

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson
Respected Contributor

I won't attempt to do it myself.  They dogs get their nails trimmed when they in for vet appointments.  There are groomers out there where you can just drop by without an appointment, and some don't charge much at all.  You can also check the pet stores in your area.  If all else fails, do a search for local dog groomers that will come to the house.

Honored Contributor

@NickNackAbsolutely agree with your idea that the pets know when we're not confident about what we're doing and that adds to their natural nervousness.

Hey -  I don't want someone drawing blood from me if they aren't confident about what they're doing!  Smart dog to rebel.