Esteemed Contributor

Need recs for good canned dog food.

Our Daisy has been throwing up her Natural Balance kibble even if I soak it over night. I always add some boiled chicken to it. I thought I would start her on a good canned food. She's a healthy 10 lb. Brussels Griffon and my baby! She's 9 now. Does anyone feed canned food they would recommend? 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

Re: Need recs for good canned dog food.

@MoJoV  You might want to try just boiled hamburg and rice for a few days then gradually add the dry food.  I would check with my vet if that doesn't work and she is still throwing up.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoJoV wrote:

Our Daisy has been throwing up her Natural Balance kibble even if I soak it over night. I always add some boiled chicken to it. I thought I would start her on a good canned food. She's a healthy 10 lb. Brussels Griffon and my baby! She's 9 now. Does anyone feed canned food they would recommend? 

Take her to your vet and find out if she may be ill. It may have nothing to do with the food.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pook Thanks for your response.  I've been giving her just the boiled chicken with rice,no dog food and no vomiting.  But I thought maybe she wasn't getting enough nutrition from just that. I would definitely take her in if it continued. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Esteemed Contributor

I have noticed that once corn was identified as a villain that a lot of foods have switched over to peas.  For my sister's old baby this has become a real problem.  Could this be caused by a formula change?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MoJoV    I only use and buy the brand NATURES LOGIC.   My dogs get the dry food( always  soaked)   which  is Quinoa based no peas or lentils...with chicken. and the canned in this brand.  It has a 5 star rating with the outfit that rates the dog foods...

The canned food is just the meat... no grain, no fillers... no peas or lentils.   Many good varieties.

I buy all my pet food from Chewy dot com.... they ship it out FAST. And the prices are very good.

Respected Contributor

How much and how often, and how long has this been going on?  Any dog that is throwing up often, and longer than 1 or 2 days needs to be seen by the vet.

Our dog had other issues, and when she started throwing up I thought it was related to the meds.  But when it was happening a few times a day we took her to the emergency vet and it turned out to be pancreatitis.  I'm not saying that is the case with you, but you really need to get Daisy in.  Call and talk to your vet, and get an appointment set up for a full check up and blood work.  Better safe than sorry.

There are good canned foods out there.  But do start with the white rice and hamburger or chicken to calm her stomach down.  DO get an appointment ASAP though.

Respected Contributor

Do you think it is a bad batch of food? What about some boiled chicken and rice for a few days? Have you talked to the vet?

doxie

We can't have a sick Daisy!

Respected Contributor

Also, is this a new bag of food or one she has been eating on for awhile?  Is the expiration date still good? 

I would consider contacting Natural Balance to see if maybe an ingredient was changed, or maybe the source of the ingredient changed.  (I fed my dogs that food for years with no issues.)  Ask them if anyone else has reported problems.

Has your dog gotten into anything, or taking any new supplemnts or anything different at all?  Look to Daisy's environment for clues also.  But again, get her an appointment with your vet.  If she is still throwing up, and you can't get an appointment, take her to the emergency vet.  Yes, it's expensive!  But it will be worth to have her evaluated to rule out anything.

Respected Contributor

@MoJoV  After getting a couple bags of food with bugs, I started cooking for my boys in July.  I got Dr. Fox's recipe and modified it a bit, adding a larger quantity of greens (I'm using kale, not spinach), AND lots of carrots AND blueberries.  They are doing great.  in fact, my 14 year old is doing better than he's done in a long time.  

What I do is basically this...

1.25 lbs of meatloaf mix from BJs.... it's just ground beef, pork, and veal

1.5   lbs of ground chicken

2-3  TBS apple cider vinegar

4      TBS coconut and or olive oil

5      Cups dry grains (brown rice, quinoa, and/or oats)

Cook the above, cool, and add the following, all well ground up in the food processor:

about 6 OZ kale (the recipe calls for spinach)

about 3/4 - 1 LB carrots

about 1 CUP blueberries

Then, when mixing it all together, I add a couple tablespoons of Turmeric.

My boys are 14 and 4 years old, 13 and 17 lbs.  The younger, heavier, one gets about 1.5-2 cups daily.  My old boy gets just under a cup a day.  I give them half in the morning and half in the evening.  This recipe will feed them for about 8 to 10 days.  I package it in Lock'n'Lock containers, and freeze it until I need it.