Honored Contributor

I've posted in CC that our dog Cody has an aggressive type of cancer and that she has just three or four months at the most. That was more than a month ago. That's a summary of the situation.

The oncologist (we declined chemo) said that one of the main symptoms of the inevitable decline will be a lack of hunger or an inability to eat. The former was  what led us to the diagnosis and surgery.

She had stopped eating the fresh food we had delivered from Just Food for Dogs, which she had loved. So after the diagnosis, we started making our own food, and she gobbled it up.

The last week or so, though, she has been eating less no matter whether we give her small amounts at a time or any other tweaking of the process. I know that this is the beginning of the end for us.

Our vet told our husband that there are three meds on the market for increasing appetite. All three have some side effects. I don't remember their names. She also said that they work about 70 percent of the time.

My question is whether anyone here has used appetite meds for a dog in this kind of situation and, if so, what the the outcome was. Did they help? Did they do nothing? Did they have side effects?

If my post sounds rather cut-and- dry, it's because I have still not reconciled with this whole thing. We have had to put down three dogs, but we never had the opportunity to live with a dog who is dying, It is a blessing to have this time with her, but it is somewhat surreal.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Just my opinion, however if other aspects of his life are good such as playing or going for walks, then by all means try them.  If other parts of his life are also bad, I see no reason to prolong it any longer.  You are the only one who can asses how it is going as a whole.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I'll add that she is a Lab/Rhodesian ridgeback mix (probably) and weighs about 60 pounds. The cancer originated in the spleen (which was removed) but had already spread to the liver. It is a high-grade (not good) rare type of cancer.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Just my opinion, however if other aspects of his life are good such as playing or going for walks, then by all means try them.  If other parts of his life are also bad, I see no reason to prolong it any longer.  You are the only one who can asses how it is going as a whole.

@CrazyDaisy, I agree. But I'd like to hear others' experiences with such meds if possible.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Need opinions

[ Edited ]

N n@suzyQ3 I don't have the answer to this but wanted to let you know that my heart just breaks for you and your family.  I've not been posting on here lately and missed saying anything on the previous thread.

Having been in the situation of having to make the decision of letting my dogs go, I know that it's just so hard.  Years ago a vet, who had treated my dog for a long illness, told me this when I asked her what she would do.  She said that she felt that an animal should always be able to go with dignity and that I would know when the time came.  And I did.

Words just can't express enough how my heart is so heavy for you and how the next few months may be. 💔 xoxo  Doggie hugs from Barnaby too.I

I hope I expressed myself well enough, my writing skills are rusty lol

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3.  So sorry to hear about your journey with your beloved dog.  When I've had a dog balk at eating, I've always added a couple heaping tablespoons of vanilla yogurt to their food.  They've all loved it and get excited when I get the carton out of the fridge.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Suebdoo, I was so happy to see your name in my notifications. I hope all is well with you, and thank Barnaby for his hugs.

If you have any interest, you can probably find my thread about Cody by searching in CC.

Heart

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@suzyQ3.  So sorry to hear about your journey with your beloved dog.  When I've had a dog balk at eating, I've always added a couple heaping tablespoons of vanilla yogurt to their food.  They've all loved it and get excited when I get the carton out of the fridge.

Thank you, @Kachina624 . We're becoming experts at treats giving her "treats" like yogurt, banana, applesauce and her all-time favorite, vanilla ice cream.

But the lack of interest in her meals that she previously adored is the concern.

Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Suebdoo, I was so happy to see your name in my notifications. I hope all is well with you, and thank Barnaby for his hugs.

If you have any interest, you can probably find my thread about Cody by searching in CC.

Heart

Accck I edited the post so it made sense lol

I read the thread.  I am just so sorry and sad.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need opinions

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, I agree. But I'd like to hear others' experiences with such meds if possible.

Not sure why the snark....if you do not use the meds. the dog will starve himself.  Not sure how others posters experiences will change that.  Sorry you are going through this but I would listen to your vet in this case.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.