Valued Contributor

Need liquid medication for my kitty, for behavior problems, suggestions please

Would anyone have an over the counter liquid medication for anxiety and agression? This is for a kitty who has bad behaviors . We had a herbal medication for her water, but it was recalled.,and did help. She has been with us for 4 years and has made great strides,but still needs a little help. We love her dearly but when she is in a bite scratch mode on us,she needs calming down. She also has temper tantrums too!

Respected Contributor

Re: Need liquid medication for my kitty, for behavior problems, suggestions please

I would recommend you check with your veterinarian.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need liquid medication for my kitty, for behavior problems, suggestions please

@number one queen, you need a prescription from your vet and I would suggest using a compounding pharmacy.  It is much easier to give meds, especially to a cat, in liquid form.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Valued Contributor

I would contact your vet and go with their recommendations. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are several plug-in products that emit a vapor undetectable to us but that have a calming effect on felines, as well as several OTC liquids and other forumlas. I'd look on the pet supply websites (Chewy, for example) and I would also ask your vet to recommend something, as a prescription might be better. Below is what the diffuser looks like, though there are several brands.

Comfort Zone Calming Diffuser Kit for Cat

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@number one queen

IOM don’t think you’ll find anything as useful as a prescription.

I’ve had Prozac compounded into drops.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

For the past 11 yrs, I ihave been using Feliway for my highly aggressive non affectionate male feline.  I spray "my space" once a month.   I spray the crate prior to going to the kennel & vet (he still poops in the crate while in the car), so no more howling in the car.  I used the Feleway plug-in when he was a kitten. 

Works like a charm.

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at Wed, Dec 12, 2018-8.35.06 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

Check with your vet about trying pet CBD oil. I know a few people who have had good luck with it.

Valued Contributor

Thank you all, yes  I did the compound thing  when we first got Aggie. It did help her. However she has been off that for several years. She has cat aggression when she sees other cars,turns into a savage hissing biting cat. Also will jump my leg and scratches me and has bitten us both. We have had to go on ABT.. That being said she is much better, but still needs a little help with her behavior.She mainly goes more after me,more than hubby. Sleeps on our bed with us every night. She  is walked on a leash which she loves,and catches balls.Helps with her energy level. Yes, I know we could give her up but we know she would be put to sleep and we can’t do that. As a shelter cat I call her my special needs kitty and we  love her.

Frequent Contributor