Respected Contributor

Re: Need honest realistic opinion on potential new pet and his life span

I had a friend who took in her mother's parrot named Mork who was born in the 70's when her Mother died in the 90's. The parrot did pull out a lot of feathers at first. The parrot was not easy to handle. They must be bathed, they poop in the house if you let them fly. They peck you when they get angry. A more conventional cat or dog would be a better choice.

Honored Contributor

@Istru - It's obvious you love parrots, but like others here, I'm not sure this is the best idea for you right now.

One option is to contact some of your local veterinary hospitals. They can connect you to clients who have and love parrots. Those clients might know others who would love to have this baby!

I don't know anything about parrots, other than the fact that they're beautiful. If you would just LOVE to raise this baby, and you feel comfortable and able to do it, AND you have contacted bird lovers who will help you out if needed and take care of him after you can't, then I say you should enjoy your time with this precious little one.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@chessylady wrote:

I had a friend who took in her mother's parrot named Mork who was born in the 70's when her Mother died in the 90's. The parrot did pull out a lot of feathers at first. The parrot was not easy to handle. They must be bathed, they poop in the house if you let them fly. They peck you when they get angry. A more conventional cat or dog would be a better choice.

@chessylady 

My brother's parrot was quite large and his beak was very big, even though he trimmed the sharp point off often.

If he was in a bad mood or you upset him (by trying to make him get off your shoulder), his 'peck' drew blood and it really hurt!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.