Contributor

Need honest realistic opinion on potential new pet and his life span

Looking into getting a new pet parrot. His life span is 20-30 years. Mine is 5-10 tops. I'm by myself with no relatives whatsoever. Am I being selfish in wanting a pet that would be left in limbo in the prime of his life? I want to do what's right for him. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Need honest realistic opinion on potential new pet and his life span

@Istru 

Personally, I would not, since you don't have anyone who can commit to caring for them if anything should happen to you.

Parrots are very sensitive and grieving and stress can cause them to pull most of their own feathers out.

I couldn't do that to one at my age now and I have owned parrots in the past.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Well unless you make arrangements for someone to take care of the bird then well yes you are kinda being selfish. You must think of what will happen to the pet. If you can do that and your sure someone will care for the bird then by all means do it. But please make the arrangements first. 

Honored Contributor

@Istru Not to be unkind but yes, it would be selfish. You say you have no one to whom you could entrust the bird's care. Be satisfied with a pet that won't outlive you. You will be doing the right thing.

I am glad you are thinking about this before jumping in. People sometimes don't plan ahead and some pets come to tragic ends because of this.

Honored Contributor

Maybe a different type of bird?  A zebra finch has a lifespan of 5 to 10 years.  But, they aren't as social as a parrot.

Contributor

Yes! You're right. Had parakeets and love birds before. Feel bad for the bird; his owners don't spend any time with him and are trying to rehome him. They asked me if I would take him and I said no. 

Respected Contributor

Please rethink it. What will happen to the bird? Perhaps consider another bird with a lifespan that matches yours? 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Maybe a different type of bird?  A zebra finch has a lifespan of 5 to 10 years.  But, they aren't as social as a parrot.

@ValuSkr 

Or even a senior pet to enjoy your senior years with?

A cat wouldn't need to be walked like a dog and would require no more care than a parrot would.

Just a thought......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Ask @Bird mama 

Esteemed Contributor

@Istru,  how old is the parrot now?  What state do you live in? 

There are places that take in parrots when an owner passes or becomes incapacitated.  Perhaps it would be workable if you could make pre-arrangements with a parrot sanctuary.

If that is not possible then I would say pass on taking the parrot in but help the current owners find a place for it.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.