Valued Contributor

Need help with my kitty, need suggestions

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a persian kitty who is 9 years old. We love her dearly. She hadnt been eating so well recently. I thought it was because I introduced a new food to her but i was giving her that just a small amount w her usual wet food. Yesterday at the vet we found that she is stage 2 with polycystic kidney disease. We had her blood work done in Nov last year and everything looked fine, this time the numbers are a little different. I am beyond heartbroken and would like to do whatever we can to slow it down. The vet gave her some fluids, vitamin b12 shot and cerenia shot and some tablets for us to give her every 24 hrs for nausea. We're taking her again next week for another blood work. I would love to know if youve had any experience with this or have you ever tried any supplements to help. Ive looked up a few natural supplements that had great reviews but my vet didnt know anything about them or if they would help. Id really like to try some natural remedies. I would really really appreciate any advice that you have. Please let me know if you're familiar with Pet well being kidney support gold, Amin Avast or any others. Id really love some help.  

~No act of kindness, no matter how small is ever wasted~ Aesop
Respected Contributor

Re: Need help with my kitty, need suggestions

So sorry your kitty has this.  I think the treatments for now are the same as treating any cat with chronic kidney disease.  I don't know of any natural treatments but giving her fluids under the skin was the single most helpful thing for my cat.  seemed to elp perk up her appitite as the toxins were flushed out of her body by the extra fluids.  the anti nausea meds help and later on an appitite stimulant may be helpful. 

It's very helpful to routienly monitor her bloodwork as it is SO much eaier to tweak her treatments in small incraments as her bloodwork numbers change rather than Pull them Out of a pit metabolically speaking. 

Also I would contact her breeder if you brought her home from a cattary. Even though Polycystic kidney disease affects many Persian cats A responaible breeder would want to know this so they can take action to remove a cat with polycystic kidnesys from their breeding program.  Not sell kittens that will all have this disease if even one of their parents has it.  Hope your little kitty resopnds well to her treatments.  Go team Kitty!

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose   I'm so very sorry that your cat has this.  I've never heard of anyone using a natural remedy that would help this.  Giving fluids is the best thing.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@mintedrose 

I'm so sorry your Sweet Kittie isn't well.  I have no knowledge of this disease but wanted to wish you & your kitty blessings & hugs for her "hopeful" recovery.   Heart

Valued Contributor

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked up some products, one from Pet wellbeing called kidney Gold and another is Amin Avast. Our vet has no knowledge of these and they want you to only buy from them. I am looking into holistic vets but was hoping to get some answers here from chatters about what they've done which helped their fur babies. As for the breeder, i gave made her aware of irresponsibility on her part. Lets hope she does the right thing. 

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose - I'm so sorry you're going through this with your kitty. You might want to think about getting a second opinion. DH is a veterinarian, and he always says be careful when you use holistic products on your own, as some can do more harm than good. There are veterinarians who specialize is healing by using acupuncture and massage. You can look into that too. 

Honored Contributor

@mintedrose wrote:

Thank you for your suggestions. I looked up some products, one from Pet wellbeing called kidney Gold and another is Amin Avast. Our vet has no knowledge of these and they want you to only buy from them. I am looking into holistic vets but was hoping to get some answers here from chatters about what they've done which helped their fur babies. As for the breeder, i gave made her aware of irresponsibility on her part. Lets hope she does the right thing. 

@mintedrose   Please do not discount regular Vets when treating your cat for this.  This is a very serious disease and I seriously doubt that treating your cat holistically is all that is needed.  Cats can go downhill really quickly with this disease.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

My sons cat was recently diagnosed with kidney disease. She is on kidney disease cat food only. She seems to have leveled out and is doing good. Just to mix it up, they do feed her fresh cooked salmon, once a week, which she LOVES. Good luck.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mintedrose wrote:

Hi, I have a persian kitty who is 9 years old. We love her dearly. She hadnt been eating so well recently. I thought it was because I introduced a new food to her but i was giving her that just a small amount w her usual wet food. Yesterday at the vet we found that she is stage 2 with polycystic kidney disease. We had her blood work done in Nov last year and everything looked fine, this time the numbers are a little different. I am beyond heartbroken and would like to do whatever we can to slow it down. The vet gave her some fluids, vitamin b12 shot and cerenia shot and some tablets for us to give her every 24 hrs for nausea. We're taking her again next week for another blood work. I would love to know if youve had any experience with this or have you ever tried any supplements to help. Ive looked up a few natural supplements that had great reviews but my vet didnt know anything about them or if they would help. Id really like to try some natural remedies. I would really really appreciate any advice that you have. Please let me know if you're familiar with Pet well being kidney support gold, Amin Avast or any others. Id really love some help.  

@mintedrose   Many times I have been through this.  I gave my kitties subcu fluids until they were too far gone in ESRD to respond and by that time, they were having seizures.  I cannot put them down right away.  I have to give them time.  Be careful with the nausea tablets.  They can dehydrate (the reason they stop vomiting) and then the kidney failure becomes worse.  So give sparingly.  Watch the vomiting and when it stops, cut the pill in half and then if it is finished, stop them.  Encourage fluids very slowly.  Ask the vet about you giving subcu fluids yourself  Ask your vet about the kinds of treatment he would suggest before giving any OTC supplements or medications, etc.

I think this is very good information for you https://consciouscat.net/2016/02/15/the-right-diet-for-cats-with-kidney-disease/

I noticed someone on here mentioned fresh salmon weekly cooked.  My veterinarian said "no" to that as once other person had suggested it to me.  He said salmon contains a lot of potassium which can exacerbate kidney failure and the danger of mercury poisoning is too great.  I suppose different vets have different ideas because the lady who said she gave it to her cat was also recommended to do that (a few years ago).

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for much for your suggestions. Since I dont know any cat owners myself, your input means a lot to me. Just to be clear Im not discounting our vet, I plan on working with another vet who can hopefully fill me in on other things i can do which our regular vet may not know about. Her usual vet is great but she's never had a patient with pkd, she's seen dogs but not many cats. She also gives her meds which makes one issue right but it creates another one. She isnt vomitting but isnt eating wet food as much. We got some dry renal diet from the vet and she loves it so far. She is drinking water. Cerenia helped her some eat more but she got diarrhea from it. Now she wont take it no matter how i give it to her. Thats why I would like to see someone with extensive knowledge and experience. Personally, when i saw a naturopath it helped me get better, my regular doctor couldnt help so much and it made me worse. So im inclined to see others who have different knowledge. I scheduled an appointment with one in the area who was highly recommended. She's supposedly is or was"Oprah's Vet". She might be expensive but they say she's good. I've also looked up someone who can do acupuncture on cats. Im gonna do whatever it takes to help her. Shes like a child to us and we love her very much. The thought of losing her is devastating to us.