Honored Contributor

Re: Need help identifying Type of Collie or Collie Mix

@NorskyGal   @Kachina624  is right. That is an Australian shepherd.  They come in many different colors including tri color and red and blue merle (speckled) and red merle.  They either are born without tails or their tails are docked so the cattle or sheep won't step on their tails.  They are extremely intelligent dogs.   They do have a square-ish face, and everything else you described in your fist post.  Some have brown eyes, some blue eyes, and some have one of each (the blue-eyed ones are my favorites).

They are gorgeous dogs and the cutest puppies ever, which is bad because people get them without knowing what a high-energy dog an Aussie is. It needs to be herding a flock of animals all day!

Here are some of the colors of Aussies:

aussiered.jpg

blueyedaussie.jpg

aussies.jpg

Valued Contributor

He looks a lot like the dog we had when I was a kid.  He was a collie shepherd mix and he was the sweetest dog ever!! His name was Poopie!!

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!
Honored Contributor

Here is a beautiful blue merle Aussie.  There is also a miniature version of these dogs just recognized by the AKC two years ago called Miniature American Shepherds.  My dog Joy,  whose picture I posted,  was one of those.   She was very close to being human.  She was a blue merle. 

20170821_204237.jpg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

It looks like he's got German Shelpherd and Husky mixed in with his collie. His build looks more like Husky to me but the tri color is strong in both the Collie and Shepherd lines. We had a Husky/Shelpherd mix and all types of Shepherds but mainly German. Considering his personality I think he might be Husky, English Shepherd and Collie. What a great dog!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  I had one once that was also very close to being human.  I used to tell people he was smarter than most of the people i worked with.  That dog understood everything I said to him - and communicated with me amazingly with his barks and body language.  Truly it was like living with another person.   My mother, who is not a dog lover, would come to visit and was amazed by him.  She once said, "That is an astounding dog."   Because he was so darn smart!  

Honored Contributor

@NorskyGal  Are you seeing the great resemblance to the Aussies?

Regular Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NorskyGal   @Kachina624  is right. That is an Australian shepherd.  They come in many different colors including tri color and red and blue merle (speckled) and red merle.  They either are born without tails or their tails are docked so the cattle or sheep won't step on their tails.  They are extremely intelligent dogs.   They do have a square-ish face, and everything else you described in your fist post.  Some have brown eyes, some blue eyes, and some have one of each (the blue-eyed ones are my favorites).

They are gorgeous dogs and the cutest puppies ever, which is bad because people get them without knowing what a high-energy dog an Aussie is. It needs to be herding a flock of animals all day!

Here are some of the colors of Aussies:

aussiered.jpg

blueyedaussie.jpg

aussies.jpg

@Pearlee Well this is embarrassing. I stopped keeping track of this thread (and apparently the QVC forums altogether) after you posted this response. So sorry! But yes, I agree that my grandma & grandpa's dog, Duke, looks A LOT like these beautiful dogs you've pictured! Oh how I miss Duke the more I look at these photos! What a smart, beautiful, gentle, loyal and sweet dog he was! He followed grandpa around the farm everywhere. He was gentle with grandma & grandpa's cat, Sparkle, and also with the grandkids. I remember giving him lots of hugs and kisses on that soft, sweet face of his. (Their cat, Sparkle, was just as sweet. He got lots of gentle hugs and kisses, too.)